How to plan a trip to Italy?
Traveling is always great, but, like most things, there is always the boring part of the business: the first one is to organize, and the second one is to leave (lol). To help anyone thinking of traveling to and through Italy, we made this super-complete post, with all the information you need to know on how to plan a trip to Italy? Here at Your Travel to Italy with Ana Patricia you make the trip of your dreams!!! ALSO: see our “Accommodation in Italy – Tips for your holidays!”
1) How to plan a trip to Italy? INQUIRE ABOUT THE BEST SEASON TO TRAVEL
When is the best time of year to travel to Italy? With the documents up-to-date? Yes!!! Then define your itinerary and the time of year you plan to travel! Perhaps it is the most difficult part and, at the same time, the most delicious part to define the script! The most difficult because with so many beauties in Italy it is quite complicated to choose which cities to spend; and the most delicious because it is when, in fact, the ‘Italian’ dream begins and you can already imagine yourself in the splendid places you’ve always wanted to visit! Read also Hiring Travel Consultancy for Italy Is it worth it?
The time of year is also important: between June and August most cities are FULL, because in addition to being summer, it is when most Italians are on vacation, that is, it is the high season (prices also shoot up!) . The coasts are even more crowded, as many run to the sea and want to enjoy the hot, sunny days and spectacular beaches, and the cities are also busier, since, in addition to tourists, there are places in circulation!
In the low season, especially in the winter and at the ‘turning of the seasons’, cities are more empty, because in addition to the lower temperatures, the rains are not very attractive for those who want to walk. It is worth remembering that in the summer your suitcase will have much lighter clothes than in the winter, so it’s good to consider that too. Enter the Climate category on our blog and learn all about The best time to travel to Italy?
1) How to plan a trip to Italy? ORGANIZE YOUR DOCUMENTS
Well, first thing: organize your documents! There are mandatory documents and you must have them at the airport *. They are:
- Passport valid for more than 03 (three) months when leaving the Schengen Area (*);
- Return airline ticket (**);
- Reservation of the Hotel where you will be staying or the Invitation Letter signed by an Italian citizen or resident;
- International Medical Insurance (**);
- Financial resources that can guarantee your sustenance during your stay (approximately 60 euros per day) (**).
- (*) Schengen Agreement is a convention between European countries on a policy of opening borders and free movement of people between signatory countries. A total of 30 countries, including all members of the European Union and three countries that are not members of the EU (Iceland, Norway and Switzerland), have signed the Schengen agreement. Liechtenstein, Bulgaria, Romania and Cyprus are in the process of implementing the agreement. Source: Wikipedia.
- (**) These documents will not always be requested at immigration, but always have them on hand, as they may be requested at the airport (and they can be requested both when boarding and disembarking, so: take the tip!) .
- The rules can vary according to every country, so be aware to check the correspondent rules in your Embassy before you travel.
2) How to plan a trip to Italy? PLAN AN ITINERARY
How to put together the itinerary for the trip in Italy? To organize your trip and choose the cities you want to visit, I suggest you make a list of what you would like to visit, where it is and how much time you have available! If you prefer, see the post where I explain it! What is the best itinerary when going to Italy for the first time? Within each one of the city, draw a tour of the sights you are interested in and then list the cities you want to travel to. Also read about the main tourist monuments in Italy?
3) How to plan a trip to Italy? UNDERSTAND HOW TO GET AROUND IN ITALY
How to get around in Italy? Watch the video below and discover the best way to travel around Italy. Here you will better understand how the transport issue in Italy works, and whether you need to use the car or public transport or both at the same time. Also check out our section on Transport in Italy!
With that done in the previous steps, you can now start searching for train tickets on the Trenitalia or Italo website. Learn how to buy a ticket in Italy in my step by step to purchase on the Trenitalia website or the post How to buy a ticket on the ITALO website?
It is important to remember that, in the case of a round trip, the travel times should not exceed 4 hours, otherwise it is not worth it, since you can spend more time on the train than on your own destination. If that time is longer, spend a night in the chosen city and return the next day, but don’t forget to book at the hotel in advance!
To get around in Italy, if you have not rented a car, know that the railway network in Italy is wide and covers the whole country, from north to south, so when buying airline tickets, also include train tickets! It is always best to buy in advance, especially if you are traveling in high season, between June and August.
In cities, it is possible to use public transport unconcernedly, in smaller cities, choose to walk! In addition to saving time waiting for transportation and money, you will have pleasant surprises along the way! Read here 10 Golden Tips for Organizing Your Trip. You will find other very important tips for your trip to be flawless!
Traveling by car in Italy
How about if I give you a rental car option? Are you ready for it? If you are renting a car be sure to read our posts in the section Driving in Italy on the blog Your Travel to Italy. In addition to car itinerary tips, we have everything about signage, tolls, roads and many more tips.
Don’t know where to rent the car?
We have a partner that can help you: Rent Cars! Have you ever thought about renting a car in Italy, without leaving your home? Click on the banner below to learn more! Search, compare and choose!
- Direct flights go directly only to Rome (Fiumicino) and Milan (Malpensa); so start your tour in one of these cities. Discover our section on Airports in Italy
4) How to plan a trip to Italy? UNDERSTAND HOW TO GET AROUND INSIDE THE CITIES
How to get around in Italy? Now define how you will get around inside the chosen city. In larger cities such as Rome and Milan, public transport such as the metro is an EXCELLENT choice. In smaller cities, the best option is on foot! Walking through cities like Venice, Verona and so many others open up a range of beautiful “hidden” surprises, it is VERY worth it!
- Always carry a map of the city where you are, as well as your hotel’s phone number and address.
- Avoid peak hours, as many Italians use this type of transport to get to and come from work. Peak hours are normally between 07:30 – 09:00 and between 17:30 – 20:00.
5) How to plan a trip to Italy? KNOW WHAT TO DO WHEN ORGANIZING YOUR TRIP
What to do when organizing my trip to Italy? Once the itinerary and all the details are defined, buy the tickets! Be sure to not buy the ticket at the last minute, in addition to paying a lot more, it is possible that you will only find flights with long connecting hours and the trip will end up getting much more tiring! In addition to airline tickets, also buy train tickets! (that’s why it’s important to leave your country with the itinerary already defined!).
Important to Know
- Buy tickets for the attractions you want to visit in advance! Both in high season and in low season, attractions ALWAYS have huge lines! Read our Special Post How to buy tickets to the main monuments in Italy!
- So it is better to face a single line, which is waiting to enter with the ticket in hand, than having to face two: one to buy a ticket and the other to enter!
- Believe me: you don’t want to waste your time on this, so get organized!
- Inquire about ALL the places you will visit: monuments, cities, sights! Even because information is NEVER too much;)
Watch this video and learn: What is the average cost of a day in Italy?
Subscribe to our channel and receive more videos with information and tips about Italy. Don’t forget to leave that Like;)
How to plan a trip to Italy? Organizing a trip to Italy is not as complicated as it seems; just get organized and know what, when and how you want to visit! Have a nice trip! If you feel insecure, have no time, and need help to organize your trip, don’t hesitate to contact me! I will love to help you make your dream trip to Italy come true. And how can I do that? Keep reading this post until the end and you will understand how we make your life and your trip much easier
Did my post help you? If so, be sure to post your comment below, but if you still have questions just send me a message I will answer you as soon as possible!