How to plan a trip to Italy?
Traveling is always great, but, like most things, there is always the boring part of the business: the first one is to organize, and the second one is to leave (lol). To help anyone thinking of traveling to and through Italy, we made this super-complete post, with all the information you need to know on how to plan a trip to Italy.? Here at Your Travel to Italy with Ana Patricia you make the trip of your dreams!!! ALSO: see our “Accommodation in Italy – Tips for your holidays!”
1) How to plan a trip to Italy? INQUIRE ABOUT THE BEST TIME OF THE YEAR TO TRAVEL
When is the best time of year to travel to Italy? With the documents up-to-date? Yes!!! Then define your itinerary and the time of year you plan to travel! Perhaps it is the most difficult part and, at the same time, the most delicious part to define the script! The most difficult because with so many beauties in Italy it is quite complicated to choose which cities to spend; and the most delicious because it is when, in fact, the ‘Italian’ dream begins and you can already imagine yourself in the splendid places you’ve always wanted to visit! Read also Hiring Travel Consultancy for Italy Is it worth it?
The time of year is also important: between June and August most cities are FULL, because in addition to being summer, it is when most Italians are on vacation, that is, it is the high season (prices also shoot up!) . The coasts are even more crowded, as many run to the sea and want to enjoy the hot, sunny days and spectacular beaches, and the cities are also busier, since, in addition to tourists, there are places in circulation!
In the low season, especially in the winter and at the ‘turning of the seasons’, cities are more empty, because in addition to the lower temperatures, the rains are not very attractive for those who want to walk. It is worth remembering that in the summer your suitcase will have much lighter clothes than in the winter, so it’s good to consider that too. Enter the Climate category on our blog and learn all about The best time to travel to Italy?
2) How to plan a trip to Italy? PREPARE A ITINERARY
How to put together the itinerary for the trip in Italy? To organize your trip and choose the cities you want to visit, I suggest you make a list of what you would like to visit, where it is and how much time you have available! If you prefer see the post where I explain it! What is the best itinerary when going to Italy for the first time? Within each one of the city, draw a tour of the sights you are interested in and then list the cities you want to travel to. Also read about the main tourist monuments in Italy?
3) How to plan a trip to Italy? UNDERSTAND HOW TO GET AROUND IN ITALY
How to get around in Italy? Watch the video below and discover the best way to travel around Italy. Here you will better understand how the transport issue in Italy works, and whether you need to use the car or public transport or both at the same time. Also check out our section on Transport in Italy!
With that done in the previous steps, you can now start searching for train tickets on the Trenitalia or Italo website. Learn how to buy a ticket in Italy in my step by step to purchase on the Trenitalia website or the post How to buy a ticket on the ITALO website?
It is important to remember that, in the case of a round trip, the travel times should not exceed 4 hours, otherwise it is not worth it, since you can spend more time on the train than on your own destination. If that time is longer, spend a night in the chosen city and return the next day, but don’t forget to book at the hotel in advance!
To get around in Italy, if you have not rented a car, know that the railway network in Italy is wide and covers the whole country, from north to south, so when buying airline tickets, also include train tickets! It is always best to buy in advance, especially if you are traveling in high season, between June and August.
In cities, it is possible to use public transport unconcernedly, in smaller cities, choose to walk! In addition to saving time waiting for transportation and money, you will have pleasant surprises along the way! Read here 10 Golden Tips for Organizing Your Trip. You will find other very important tips for your trip to be flawless!
Traveling by car in Italy
How about if I give you a rental car option? Are you ready for it? If you are renting a car be sure to read our posts in the section Driving in Italy on the blog Your Travel to Italy. In addition to car itinerary tips, we have everything about signage, tolls, roads and many more tips.
Don’t know where to rent the car?
We have a partner that can help you: Rent Cars! Have you ever thought about renting a car in Italy, without leaving your home? Click on the banner below to learn more! Search, compare and choose!
- Direct flights go directly only to Rome (Fiumicino) and Milan (Malpensa); so start your tour in one of these cities. Discover our section on Airports in Italy
4) How to plan a trip to Italy? GET TO KNOW HOW TO GET AROUND INSIDE THE CITIES
How to get around in Italy? Now define how you will get around inside the chosen city. In larger cities such as Rome and Milan, public transport such as the metro is an EXCELLENT choice. In smaller cities, the best option is on foot! Walking through cities like Venice, Verona and so many others opens up a range of beautiful “hidden” surprises, it is VERY worth it!
- Always carry a map of the city where you are, as well as your hotel’s phone number and address.
- Avoid peak hours, as many Italians use this type of transport to get to and come from work. Peak hours are normally between 07:30 – 09:00 and between 17:30 – 20:00.
5) How to plan a trip to Italy? KNOW WHAT TO DO WHEN ORGANIZING YOUR TRIP
What to do when organizing my trip to Italy? Once the itinerary and all the details are defined, buy the tickets! Be sure to not buy the ticket at the last minute, in addition to paying a lot more, it is possible that you will only find flights with long connecting hours and the trip will end up getting much more tiring! In addition to airline tickets, also buy train tickets! (that’s why it’s important to leave your country with the itinerary already defined!).
Important to Know
- Buy tickets for the attractions you want to visit in advance! Both in high season and in low season, attractions ALWAYS have huge lines! Read our Special Post How to buy tickets to the main monuments in Italy!
- So it is better to face a single line, which is waiting to enter with the ticket in hand, than having to face two: one to buy a ticket and the other to enter!
- Believe me: you don’t want to waste your time on this, so get organized!
- Inquire about ALL the places you will visit: monuments, cities, sights! Even because information is NEVER too much;)
6) How to plan a trip to Italy? UNDERSTAND HOW TO CHOOSE THE HOTEL
How to choose the hotel in Italy? Purchased tickets, it’s time to choose the hotel! I understand that choosing a hotel “in the dark” is not easy, so do not hesitate to chat with anyone who has already traveled to Italy, search the internet and check booking websites like Booking.com! There you can check reviews from different customers, in the most diverse cities and choose without fear of being happy!
Guys, of course we must remember that we are different from each other and, maybe, a hotel that pleased “that one”, may not please “these one”! Read in our blog section on Accommodation in Italy. To choose the hotel efficiently, look for a hotel outside the center (in the Center they are more expensive), but close to “key” locations, such as train and subway stations.
Friendly readers, don’t be fooled by the amount of “stars” in a hotel. It is quite common for a three-star hotel to be quite better than a luxury hotel, for example! Do your search with an open mind and remember that you will probably spend little time there, as you will want to enjoy your days strolling, O.K.?!
Organize your Spending
Another important point is to organize your spending! Include in your budgeting ALL the amounts, even if approximate, how much you will spend per day, how much you will spend on monuments, in the hotel, restaurant, public transport, etc. To get an idea, read this Special Post: How much would I spend on a trip in Italy?
- Search A LOT before traveling on EVERYTHING related to the city you are going to! We have excellent posts, on our website Your Travel to Italy, about cities, from north and south, and if you are still in doubt about what to visit, reading about places can be a great idea to clear your thoughts and help you make the final decision !
- Find out where the tourist information centers are in each city you are visiting. There you will find maps, information on public transport, monuments, timetables, restaurant suggestions and many other great tips!
- If you have a city guide where you’re going, great! If not, don’t worry: check the internet to find out where your hotel is, where the sights, the train and subway stations are.
How to plan a trip to Italy? Organizing a trip to Italy is not as complicated as it seems; just get organized and know what, when and how you want to visit! Have a nice trip! If you feel insecure, have no time, and need help to organize your trip, don’t hesitate to contact me! I will love to help you make your dream trip to Italy come true. And how can I do that? Keep reading this post until the end and you will understand how we make your life and your trip much easier
Did my post help you? If so, be sure to post your comment below, but if you still have questions just send me a message I will answer you as soon as possible!