Where to go on New Year’s Eve in Italy?
Christmas is coming and then it’s already here: the New Year’s Eve! The end of the year is two months away and many will go to Italy for the arrival of the New Year, so it’s now possible to start planning the parties! There is an Italian saying that goes: Natale con i tuoi, Capodanno con chi vuoi. Translating it into English, it becomes something like ‘Christmas with the family, and New Year’s Eve in revelry’. With that in mind, we’ve put together a short list with some party suggestions for you to spend New Year’s Eve in Italy. Here at Your Travel to Italy with Ana Patricia you make the trip of your dreams!!! ALSO: see our “Accommodation in Italy – Tips for your holidays!” Read also: Examples of Itineraries in Italy!
The year, oddly enough, is practically over! If you are going to spend New Year’ Eve in Italy, you can already start thinking about where to go, where to celebrate and what to do. The most popular celebrations are, of course, in the biggest cities like Rome, Milan, Naples, Florence and Venice, but if you are in a smaller city, don’t worry: rest assured that in the Central Square there will be something! Discover our section on Festivities in Italy! Read also What to do in Rome at Christmas time?
Italians LOVE Christmas and New Year and take the holidays very seriously! A tip: for supper, book in advance! Not all places open and those that work have a special menu and are CROWDED, both by tourists and locals, so don’t leave to book at the last minute, OK?!
1) Where to go on New Year’s Eve in Italy? IN MILAN
Milan is one of the most popular destinations for the arrival of the New Year! That’s because it offers its visitors many options. Click on the link below and check out the New Year’s Program in Milan (2021/2022). See below the Main Parties in Milan.
Navigli and Brera
Two of Milan’s liveliest neighborhoods, of course, would never let the date go unnoticed! They have a super lively party with lots of music, lights and fireworks. Several restaurants open, as well as bars and parties in the clubs spread throughout the regions. Disco parties don’t always require reservations, but just in case, go there the day before to inquire. Ah: some places have themed, costume parties, so dress the part!
Center and Surroundings
In addition to Piazza Duomo, which we will see below, the surroundings of that region are also very lively, even with the usual cold weather. The streets are very lively and from Corso Buenos Aires (predominantly LGBTQIA+ zone) to Corso Domo the streets are crowded, colorful and very lively. That is because in this area are the most incredible clubs in Milan. Some of them are: Hollywood, 11 Club Room, The Club, Viberoom and Just Cavalli. The prices of the places mentioned vary between 10 euros (for entry) to 500 euros (for a reserved table).
The highlight of Milan during the end of the year festivities is, without a doubt, the most important Piazza in Milan: the Piazza Duomo (Duomo Square). They set a large stage there, where there is a lot of music, fireworks, lights and a LOT of entertainment! Not even the cold scares people away! Get there early to keep up with the countdown as the party is PACKED! Carry little in your purse/pockets, as there is security control and it is very restricted. No glass, no metal. If it’s raining, opt for a raincoat, because it’s very likely that you have your umbrella “confiscated”. The party starts at 8:00 pm.
2) Where to go on New Year’s Eve in Italy? IN FLORENCE
In Florence, the party takes place in various parts of the city and the fireworks display along the Arno River is the icing on the cake: beautiful! There are also shows, the city is very busy and with a very lively atmosphere! The party starts around 08:00 pm, so there is time for supper and go have fun later! However, if you want to spend a different New Year’s Eve, reliving the medieval era, your destination is Spedale di Bigallo. This year, 2019, the theme party welcomes guests for a very special night. The ticket, with dinner included, costs 135 euros and they will provide a return service to the city center. Check here the New Year’s Program in Florence (2021/2022).
3) Where to go on New Year’s Eve in Italy? IN VENICE
In Venice, considered one of the most romantic cities in Italy, in addition to the concerts and entertainment at St Mark’s Square and in various parts of the city, at midnight it happens the famous and already traditional collective kiss. Legend has it that if you kiss your love at midnight on New Year’s Eve, love will last forever! True or not, the party also features concerts and fireworks. If you want to spend a very different New Year’s Eve and have a privileged view of the fireworks display, in front of St Mark’s Square, you can take a mini cruise along the Grand Canal and see in the New Year on board. The tour includes dinner with drinks, entertainment and unforgettable memories! Prices start from 200 euros per person and for reservations, just Click Here! And click on the link below to check out the New Year’s Program in Venice (2021/2022).
4) Where to go on New Year’s Eve in Italy? IN NAPLES
Naples, the city is already animated by nature, so you can imagine it on New Year’s Eve! It’s flawless! If there’s one thing Neapolitans know how to do, it’s party. So, if you want to spend a very fun and exciting New Year’s Eve, your destination is this amazing city! The main stage of the party is, of course, the famous Plebiscite Square. It is there that the stage that commands the party is set up and where the traditional fireworks display takes place. Check out the New Year’s Program in Naples (2021/2022) here.
5) Where to go on New Year’s Eve in Italy? IN ROME
Rome, like Milan, also spreads its parties throughout the city. The most popular spot, in addition to the city center, is Trastevere, which fills its streets with enchanting music, lights and colors. A different New Year’s suggestion in Italy is to go to Cinecittà (New Year’s Program (2021/2022), which is a very nice park that offers several options for the New Year’s Eve. It also offers fireworks and various shows distributed throughout the entire park. The party starts at 6:00 pm and runs until 6:00 am! Check out the New Year’s Program in Rome here (2021/2022).
- Large hotels (the most luxurious) offer fantastic parties to celebrate the arrival of the New Year and it’s not just for guests; therefore, research which hotels offer the service and book in advance. Attention: some request black tie, stay tuned. Discover our Section on Accommodations in Italy!
- Some large restaurants also have a special schedule, if you have already booked a hotel for this period, you can ask at reception (including by email) to find out if they have any suggestions for parties in case you do not want to go to a very distant place. Discover our section on Food in Italy!
- In small cities, the parties are, proportionally, so to speak, smaller, obviously, but it leaves nothing to be desired for the big tourist centers. Always look for the city’s central squares and always check with the hotel where you will stay. Check out our section on Examples of Tourist Itineraries in Italy!
Good to know
- And, last but not least: when we talk about fireworks, if we compare with what it is in other countries, you may end up being disappointed, because they don’t spend almost half an hour setting of fireworks, OK?! So: be prepared for something briefer.
Watch this video and learn: What is the average cost of a day in Italy?
Subscribe to our channel and receive more videos with information and tips about Italy. Don’t forget to leave that Like;)
Where to go on New Year’s Eve in Italy? Spending New Year’s Eve in Italy is a delightful, unique experience that deserves to be lived. Regarding prices: see it as an investment, not an expense! Have a good time!
Are you insecure?
If you feel insecure or have no time, and need help to organize your trip, do not hesitate to look for me! I will love to help you make your dream trip to Italy. And how can I do that? Continue reading this post until the end and you will understand how can we make your life and journey easier.
Did my post help you? If yes, make sure to leave your comment below, but if you still have questions, just leave them as a comment below and I will reply, OK?
An Extra Help for your Trip
Car Rental in Italy - Want to travel in Italy by car but don't know where to rent one? We have the solution for you!
Suitcase to bring wine from Italy - How about a suitcase for you to take the best Italian wines to your house? Learn more about this facility
The best content from Your Travel to Italy!
Learn more about our tours in Italy right now!
- What to visit in Italy in 10 days?
- The ten must-see places in Tuscany?
- The best tips to save on your trip to Italy?
- What are the 10 most visited cities in southern Italy?
- Airports in Italy? How to get to your hotel? (Venice, Milan, Rome, Florence)
- What to do in 1/2/3/4 days in the main Italian cities?
- The best tips on food in Italy (wines, typical food, enogastronomy tours)
- How to get from Fiumicino Airport to Rome downtown?
- Your Travel to Italy: 10 tips for traveling through Italy!
Best regards from Italy