What to do on the island of Ischia?
With its nearly 47 square kilometers of pure beauty, Ischia seems to have been shaped by hand! Its beauties hypnotize and make us want to stay there forever, not to mention its thermal water centers: one more beautiful than the other. Let’s go to our post of the day? What to do on the island of Ischia? Here at Your Travel to Italy with Ana Patriciayou make the trip of your dreams!!! ALSO: see our “Accommodation in Italy – Tips for your holidays!”
1) What to do on the island of Ischia? VISIT THE PORT OF ISCHIA
Start your tour from Ischia Porto, which is the main gateway to and from the island. No wonder, this is where most of the city’s restaurants, shops and hotels are concentrated. Very rustic, the city seems to welcome us warmly!
2) What to do on the Ischia Island? VISIT THE HISTORICAL CENTER AND THE ARAGONESE CASTLE
From Porto, head to Ischia Ponte, where the historic center and some of the best attractions on the island are. Visit the Aragonese Castle, which is a relic of the city. Built in the 15th century, it served as a fortress for protection against invaders. At 113 meters above sea level, it connects to a village through a 228 meter bridge that was built in 1438. Inside the castle, it is possible to have a spectacular view of the sea and, in the summer, it is there that Ischia Jazz Festival takes place. Today it houses works of art and is open to the public.
3) What to do on the Ischia Island? VISIT THE MUSEUM OF THE SEA, THE CATHEDRAL AND GET TO KNOW THE BATHS
The island where the castle ‘rests imposing’, is the result of a ‘bubble’ of magma. From there, head to the Sea Museum (an old building painted in light yellow!) That tells the entire maritime history of the island and is beautiful! Nearby you can visit the Cathedral of St Mary of the Assumption, where there is a 14th century Baroque style tower. Be sure to visit the Baths of Sorgeto.
The thermal waters of Ischia
Legend has it that the thermal waters of Ischia have numerous healing properties, between yes and no: take the opportunity to take a dip! The water temperature is another attraction apart and its purity is displayed in a splendid way, contrasting with the bottom of the natural pools! Just be careful with the stones, which obviously also get very hot and can be a little uncomfortable. There are notices scattered throughout the site informing you of the temperature of the rocks, O.K.? Stay tuned!
4) What to do on the Ischia Island? VISIT THE FUMAROLE BEACH AND ISCHIA VIEWPOINTS
Another incredible place is Fumarole Beach. Just one thing: the sand over there is too hot, so protect your feet! They also say that sand has healing properties (I don’t doubt it!) and the beach looks like a painting! Go! Go and then tell me what you think! Be sure to visit the Ischia viewpoints! Special binoculars are strategically placed to make you see all the details of the island.
5) What to do on the Ischia Island? VISIT MOUNT EPOMEO
Another high point of the island, literally, is Mount Epomeo, with its 790 meters above the sea. At the top of the hill is an excellent restaurant that offers a magnificent panoramic view of the island. The walking time from Fontana is one hour and the effort of each step and each sore muscle is VERY worth it!
6) What to do on the Ischia Island? VISIT SANT´ANGELO
Since you are in Ischia, visit Sant’Angelo. The island is super famous, mainly, for its thermal waters! Do you know who spends the holidays there? Angela Merkel! Maybe you come across her in the middle of the Italian summer! The island of Sant’Angelo is not large, but it is full of spectacular houses, restaurants and hotels. Also go to Soccorso Church. All white, its color contrasts with the blue of the sea and, during sunset, the yellowish orange of the star seems to have come out of a movie! It’s fantastic!
7) What to do on the Ischia Island? VISIT THE BATHS AND THE THERMAL PARK
Another place worth visiting is the Baths of Casamicciola. This is where Oasi Castiglione Thermal Park is located, one of the most famous for its thermal baths. Stroll through Forio and visit the Ravino Garden, which is open to the public: it is magnificent! Do you want to know more? Access the official website of the Ischia Island. Other suggestions: how about an Experience in the Castiglione Thermal Park in Ischia? Click here to learn more! or Nitrodi Afternoon Hot Springs Tour, click here to find out more!
How to get to Ischia Island?
From Naples, there are three options for ports:
- Porto Napoli Molo Beverello, which is the closest to the central train station in Naples.
- Porto Pozzuolli (which is an hour from the central train station), from where the ferry leaves for Ischia.
- Porto de Massa, where there is a transfer station at the central station, it is possible to take an Aliscafo, which is a fast boat.
- Boat tour from Naples to Ischia – Click here to find out more!
SEE AN EXAMPLE OF A SITE FOR THE PURCHASE OF FERRY TICKETS.
Watch this video and learn: What is the average cost of a day in Italy?
Subscribe to our channel and receive more videos with information and tips about Italy. Don’t forget to leave that Like;)
What to do on the island of Ischia? Are you in southern Italy? Include Ischia in your itinerary; you will not regret it! And if it is not possible to buy your tickets online, never, under any circumstances, buy tickets from people close to the attractions. They can be non-official and you can be fooled! Face the line but, on the next trip, remember this post! Italy is beautiful and wonderful to be explored, discover other options of Itineraries in Italy, clicking here “Example of Itineraries in Italy“.
An Extra Help for your Trip
Car Rental in Italy - Want to travel in Italy by car but don't know where to rent one? We have the solution for you!
Suitcase to bring wine from Italy - How about a suitcase for you to take the best Italian wines to your house? Learn more about this facility
The best content from Your Travel to Italy!
Learn more about our tours in Italy right now!
- What to visit in Italy in 10 days?
- The ten must-see places in Tuscany?
- The best tips to save on your trip to Italy?
- What are the 10 most visited cities in southern Italy?
- Airports in Italy? How to get to your hotel? (Venice, Milan, Rome, Florence)
- What to do in 1/2/3/4 days in the main Italian cities?
- The best tips on food in Italy (wines, typical food, enogastronomy tours)
- How to get from Fiumicino Airport to Rome downtown?
- Your Travel to Italy: 10 tips for traveling through Italy!
Best regards from Italy