When is the worst time to travel to Italy?
When we talk about Italy, a lot comes to mind: from wonderful beaches to incredible ski resorts! Much is also said about the best time to travel to Italy, but little is said about the WORST time, the worst months. So the question to be answered is: When is the worst time to travel to Italy? Here at Your Travel to Italy with Ana Patricia you make the trip of your dreams!!! ALSO: see our “Accommodation in Italy – Tips for your holidays!”
Choosing the “worst” and the “best” period is quite relative. Maybe what I think is bad may not be so bad for the other, so have good sense when choosing the worst period FOR YOU! Analyze your availability, your travel history to other places at certain times, etc.
1) What is the worst time to travel to Italy? AUGUST
Let’s start with those who want to go to Italy in August, high summer, the peak of the high season. In all sincerity? AVOID IT! I will explain some points below:
- August is the hottest month in Italy;
- Most Italians take a vacation (many things are closed, even a restaurant!);
- It is the month of one of the most awaited holidays of the year (the notorious Ferragosto – click here and find out what Ferragosto is);
- It is the month in which the country is fullest and it is when EVERYTHING gets more expensive;
- Summer in Italy is hot, very hot; believe it or not: it gets hotter than the Brazilian summer;
- Dry air is terrible for those who have problems such as rhinitis and other allergies;
- The lines at the monuments seem to triple and a bottle of water that, normally, you would pay one or two Euros, you will pay up to 5 Euros (learn here how to buy tickets for the moments);
- Another unpleasant thing: the hours of some museums, churches, shops and other places, change without notice;
- Another critical point of going to Italy in August: transport! And that goes for public transport (it gets crowded!) and roads (traffic to all sides and parking becomes a real saga!).
- If you want to go to the beach in this period, go early, otherwise you may not find a space to extend the mat!
- If you are really traveling during this period (high season), remember to buy all train and monument tickets in advance, thus avoiding the stress of lining, etc. Traveling with everything programmed makes the difference, believe me!
2) When is the worst time to travel to Italy? SEPTEMBER TO DECEMBER
From the end of September to the beginning of December. If there is another terrible time to go to Italy it is between the end of September and the beginning of December. It’s the rainy season and when I say rainy, I’m talking about MANY millimeters of water a day! I do not recommend! Anyway, during this period, prices drop and it is fresher, therefore, it also has its positive side.
- If you really only have this period to make your trip to Italy, my advice is: take raincoats, umbrellas (small) and waterproof (comfortable) shoes that protect your foot well.
- Read too: What to do in rome when rains?
3) When is the worst time to travel to Italy? EASTER
Another very annoying time to travel to Italy is Easter week! The cities, because of the festivities of the Catholic calendar, get CROWDED, which can bother those who do not like “uproar”, as it is difficult to find a restaurant and the prices increase a lot! Find out the Holidays in Italy.
- As this period is an important holiday and the tourist cities will be crowded, my advice is to make an alternative schedule. Visit the small towns, the least touristy, but certainly very authentic and as beautiful as the most sought-after by all tourists.
4) What is the worst time to travel to Italy? WINTER
During the winter? Between December and the end of February, the weather is very cold, it is common to snow and, therefore, some train stations and roads may be closed. Unless your destination is big cities or ski resorts, AVOID IT! Do you love the cold? So go and have fun! Also read What to do in Italy’s winter?
The downside of this period is the hours: they are reduced and each establishment opens and closes according to its own will hahaha (of course I am talking about smaller merchants and some family restaurants. Large shopping centers have fixed hours – even if reduced – and, if there is no alert from the civil defense, they work normally – in big cities!). If you have doubts to pack, read our Post Stations in Italy how to pack?
- If you really like the cold weather or have no other date available to visit Italy, my advice is that you come well prepared. Bring your waterproof boots and very warm clothes to withstand the cold, but all these pieces should be comfortable so as not to disturb your trip.
- Good news in the midst of all this is that the Italian cities in that period are much more empty, and you will be able to enjoy it much more calmly and you will be able to enjoy Italy from another point of view.
Watch this video and learn:
Subscribe to our channel and receive more videos with information and tips about Italy. Don’t forget to leave that Like;)
When is the worst time to travel to Italy? Well folks, to put it shortly: the worst months to travel to Italy are August, end of September, October, November, December and between March and April (Easter period). Otherwise: pack your bags, choose your destination and have a nice trip! This does not mean that you cannot travel during this period. What should you do if you don’t have another time of year to travel? Plan every detail!
If you feel insecure or have no time, and need help to organize your trip, do not hesitate to look for me! I will love to help you make your dream trip to Italy. And how can I do that? Continue reading this post until the end and you will understand how can we make your life and journey easier.
Did my post help you? If yes, make sure to leave your comment below, but if you still have questions, just leave them as a comment below and I will reply, O.K.?