Why visit the Greek Theater of Taormina?
Taormina is a must-see for anyone traveling to Sicily. The city is beautiful and its streets are crowded in summer, which fills it with life, voices, joy and attractions. One of the most visited sights is the city’s postcard: the Greek Theater! But why visit the Greek Theater of Taormina? See the incredible images and get your answer here! Here at Your Travel to Italy with Ana Patriciayou make the trip of your dreams!!! ALSO: see our “Accommodation in Italy – Tips for your holidays!”
1) Why visit the Greek Theater of Taormina? BECAUSE ITS HISTORY IS FASCINATING!
The Theater was built in the 3rd century BC and has undergone several changes over the centuries. In the 10th century, with the invasion of the Arabs, a good part of its columns were destroyed, as well as half of the city. In spite of everything, the architecture of the Theater and its grandeur are impressive! Behind the theater is the Forum, with its public baths. Next to the Theater is the library, next to the Church of St Catherine, where there are beautiful mosaics.
Watch this video and learn: What is the average cost of a day in Italy?
Subscribe to our channel and receive more videos with information and tips about Italy. Don’t forget to leave that Like;)
The Theater was literally embedded in the side of a hill, there you can still see some Greek inscriptions, from the time of the Theater’s inauguration. The structure is 109 meters in diameter and easily accommodates a complete orchestra. The Theater accommodated up to 10,000 people, second only to the Syracuse theater. With the peak of Etna in the background, the view from the top is breathtaking! To have access to this view, it is necessary to go up some steps where the terrain is a little rough, so wear comfortable walking shoes. Also read Sicily car itinerary? e What are the 10 must-see cities in Sicily?
2) Why visit the Greek Theater of Taormina? BECAUSE IT HOSTS MUST-SEE EVENTS!
It is worth remembering that, in the periods when events take place (mostly between June and September), several wooden tents and grandstands are set up, making it impossible to visit the Theater in peace.
- If you are there at the beginning of the month, enjoy! The 10 Euro ticket is not charged on the first Sunday of each month!
- Some visitors complain about the lack of maintenance of the Theater, especially the bathrooms. Just in case, take toilet paper, hand sanitizer and a small towel in your backpack. It’s always better to be safe than sorry, isn’t it ?! ?
- The visit time is about an hour to two hours and the theater is at Via Del Teatro Grego, 1;
- The ticket costs 10 Euros (full price) and 5 Euros (half price);
- Opening hours vary: in November, December and January, from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm; from February 1st to 15th, from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm; from February 16th to 28th, from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm; from March 1st to 15th, from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm; from March 16th to 31st, from 9:00 am to 5:30 pm; in April, from 9:00 am to 6:30 pm; from May to August, from 9:00 am to 7:00 pm; from September 1st to 15th, from 9:00 am to 6:30 pm; from September 16th to 30th, from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm; from October 1st to 15th, from 9:00 am to 5:30 pm and from October 15th to 31st, from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.
How about doing some group tours?
Watch this video with images from the Teatro de Taormina
How to get to Taormina?
1) How to get to Taormina? BY AIRPLANE
Catania Airport is the most important in Eastern Sicily and is also the point of arrival for visitors to Taormina and surroundings. The airport offers connections to all major Italian and European cities, including all capitals. From the airport, the train service connects to Catania station every 20 minutes. There is also a direct bus service to Taormina Airport operated by Etna Transportes.
Also read our Special Posts on Airports in Italy:
- HOW TO GO FROM THE ROME AIRPORT TO THE CENTER OF ROME?
- HOW TO GO FROM THE MALPENSA AIRPORT TO THE CENTER OF MILANO?
- HOW TO GO FROM VENICE AIRPORT TO VENICE CENTER
2) How to get to Taormina? BY TRAIN
From the central station in Catania we reach the Taormina-Giardini station in just over an hour. Arriving at Giardino station, to reach Taormina it is necessary to take a bus or taxi. Did you know that Trenitalia is the main Italian company dedicated to the management of railway transport? Also find out “What is the difference between trains in Italy?”. Would you like to save? So buy your ticket online in advance and save a lot, read the Post “How to buy a train ticket in Italy?“.
3) How to get to Taormina? BY CAR
The easiest and most convenient way to reach Taormina is by car. We advise the A18 Messina-Catania paid highway. Taormina is 40 km away and the journey time is 40 minutes, the ticket costs € 1.80.
Traveling by car in Italy
How about if I give you a rental car option? Are you ready for it? If you are renting a car be sure to read our posts in the section Driving in Italy on the blog Your Travel to Italy. In addition to car itinerary tips, we have everything about signage, tolls, roads and many more tips.
Don’t know where to rent the car?
We have a partner that can help you: Rent Cars! Have you ever thought about renting a car in Italy, without leaving your home? Click on the banner below to learn more! Search, compare and choose!
Why visit the Greek Theater of Taormina? Are you in Sicily? Then include Taormina in your itinerary! It’s really worth it, the city is beautiful and the theater will delight you! And if you feel insecure or have no time, and need help to organize your trip, do not hesitate to look for me! I will love to help you make your dream trip to Italy. And how can I do that? Continue reading this post until the end and you will understand how can we make your life and journey easier.
Did my post help you? If yes, make sure to leave your comment below, but if you still have questions, just leave them as a comment below and I will reply, O.K.?