Traveling by motorhome in Italy?
Renting a motorhome can be a great idea, especially if you want to go to smaller, less-known cities, or are traveling in a group of at least four people. Even experiencing Italy better, in its everyday life, is an excellent experience. Let’s find out how to travel by motorhome in Italy? Here at Your Travel to Italy with Ana Patricia you make the trip of your dreams!!! ALSO: see our “Accommodation in Italy – Tips for your holidays!”
1) Traveling by motorhome in Italy? PLAN
Where to start? I always advise you to plan ahead to find out whether or not it is worth renting a motor home.
Do the math
First thing to do: the math! Consider whether it is really worth it. Some trailers accommodate up to 10 people comfortably. Obviously, the amount will vary according to the model of the chosen vehicle, but if the bill is divided among several people, it will not be tough for anyone. For example: renting a trailer for four people (minimum 6 nights) leaving Rome (Fiumicino), costs around EUR 80.00 per day (if you do not return the trailer at the place of origin, you may have to pay EUR 200.00).
Analyze the Motorhome Structure
The structure offered inside the vehicle includes air conditioning, beds for four people, bathroom with shower with hot water, minibar, stove and other amenities. It is worth remembering that the space is not the largest, of course, it is a ‘house in a car’, that is, it is not a mansion, but it does meets the requirements.
It is also important to say that some other items are paid separately, such as GPS (EUR 40.00 for the period), Wi-Fi (EUR 40.00 for the period), and barbecue (EUR 20.00 for the period) among other elements that will vary according to the traveler profile. Budget: parking, toll and fuel. Parking lots charge, on average, EUR 2.00 per hour! So do your math and see if it is worth it for the type of trip you’re planning.
2) Traveling by motorhome in Italy? GET TO KNOW THE ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES
You may be wondering: what are the advantages and disadvantages?
- Freedom of schedule and itinerary;
- Option to prepare meals in the trailer;
- Comfort while traveling;
- It is not necessary to wait for trains and other transport;
- Ideal for use during spring and summer in Italy, and for traveling through southern Italy and islands.
- In cities such as Rome, Florence and Venice, it is not a good idea to go by trailer. In Venice, you cannot even drive a car into the city, let alone a trailer. In Rome and Florence, for example, in addition to traffic (especially in high season), there are several narrow, dead-end streets and maneuvering can become a (huge) problem.
- Finding a place to park is not always easy and the vehicle cannot travel anywhere.
- If you are going to visit cities where the attraction, in addition to the monuments, is enogastronomy, you will not be able to drink, as you will have to drive later. Remember that Italian laws are very strict!
- If you are with someone who does not drive, it can be (very) tiring.
- Ah, remember that to drive in Italy you will need the International driver’s license, PID. To learn more about the subject in detail, click here and know Do I need an International Driver’s License in Italy?
Important to Know
Another important thing to do is, even before you travel, to make a plan, a complete itinerary with the motorhome, so you will feel safer to drive in Italy. See here in our section Examples of Itineraries with the car. Set your itinerary here on our blog, we have lots of information and tips for you. Also, find out how much it costs to travel by car in Italy. Some tips and information for driving with the rental car are valid for driving with the motorhome (remember that the rules for the motorhome are not the same as for the rental car).
3) Traveling by motorhome in Italy? KNOW WHERE TO PARK
Finally, the crux of the matter: where to park the motorhome in Italy? First, it is good to know that you CANNOT stop anywhere (except for emergencies, if that!). Well, let’s go step by step:
Can I park the motorhome on the road?
Well, according to the Italian Highway Code, there are some conditions:
- Stopping must be allowed at that point on the road (there are indications when it is allowed, if not, DO NOT STOP!).
- The vehicle can remain stationary only with the wheels, that is, it is not possible to anchor the vehicle and lock its wheels.
- The vehicle must not obstruct (partially or completely) the passage, shoulder or overload the road, that is, it is forbidden to open cover and extensions, as well as use chairs and tables.
The right to park on the road, even with an indication, does not give the right to leave dirt there. Garbage, including chemical garbage, can only be discharged at appropriate locations. It is even forbidden to discharge organic waste and clean or dirty water on roads and public areas not equipped with the appropriate waste disposal systems. The fine for this offense ranges from 84 to 335 Euros.
Appropriate Areas for Parking
In Italy, we have four areas to park the motorhome and they differ as detailed below.
Which is usually equipped with locations where you can drain wastewater in special tanks for its collection. It is also common to present areas with the supply of drinking water and for the drainage of removable tanks mounted on the trailers. Its location is signaled by the relevant traffic sign and can be found in public or private camping areas or in some motorway service areas. In many cases, the use of available equipment is subject to charges. Suitable for those who need to stay no longer than one night, or for those who want to get rid of chemical waste and need to replace the water to then continue their journey.
Which is a public or private structure and reserved not only for trailer parking, but also for cars. These locations are not equipped with the aforementioned services and parking spaces are reduced. We find them almost anywhere, whether in the city or on state roads or on highways, but it is not always possible to stay overnight there. Suitable for those who want to visit a certain city and then leave afterwards, do not intend to sleep there.
They are nothing more than a structure in which it is allowed to stop, but services, such as chemical waste collection, are not always available. Suitable for those who want to stop to stretch their legs, drink water and get some rest.
It is a public area reserved for trailer parking (motorhome) for a certain period, established by the municipality on which the regional jurisdiction is based. This time limit varies between 48 and 72 hours, that is, between 2 and 3 days. Tip: There are places that allow you to stay for a longer time, but be sure to ask beforehand to avoid any surprises!
The equipped area is complete and has services such as an area for the disposal of chemical waste, columns for replacement of drinking water, power connection. In some places, there are also some shops, restaurants and markets, in addition to other useful services. Remembering that camping areas are not allowed in equipped areas, so it is not possible to anchor or place curtains or covers, nor use tables or chairs, etc. However, nearby there are specific and demarcated areas for anchoring and there, yes, it is even possible to rent tables and chairs, for example.
Places to Park the Motorhome (trailer)
Below, a list of some excellent places to park the motorhome (trailer), with incredible views and great structures:
- Area di sosta di Rapolano Terme – Rapolano Terme (53040) – Siena, Tuscany.
- Area di sosta di Cesenatico – Cesenatico (47042) – Riviera Romagnola, Emilia Romagna.
- Area di sosta La Spiaggia – Desenzano del Garda (25015) – Brescia, Lombardia.
- Area di sosta del Re – Druento (10040) – Torino, Piemonte.
- Area di sosta Oasi Parki Falconara – Noto (96017) – Syracuse, Sicily.
- Area di sosta Terme di Chianciano – Chianciano Terme (53042) – Siena, Tuscany.
- Area di sosta Giardini – Nasso (98035) – Taormina, Sicilia.
- Parking Spiaggia dei Baracconi – Spiaggia dei Baracconi (07020) – Olbia-Tempio, Sardinia.
- Area di sosta Lido Tropical – Fuscaldo (87024) – Cosença, Calabria.
- Area di sosta Antichi Casali – Roma (00132) – Roma, Lazio.
- Area di sosta Monzambano – Monzambano (46040) – Mantova, Lombardia.
For more information and other options, visit the Caramaps website, which features a multitude of choices for all types of tastes and specializes in trailer stops.
In our Blog we have a lot of information about Driving in Italy. At this moment, I recommend reading the Post Traffic Signs in Italy. Stay tuned on everything before you get behind the wheel. If you are really driving in Italy, be sure to watch the “Traveling to Italy” videos on YouTube.
Are you going to travel around Italy by Motorhome?
Don’t you know where to rent a Motorhome? We have an ideal partner that can help you: rent.it! Have you ever thought about renting a Motorhome in Italy and getting to know the Boot country, not having to think about the time and enjoy every moment on the road? If so, you are in the right place!
Click on the link below and make a free quote!
Important to Know
- Do not drink and drive! Italian laws are very strict for both natives and tourists. Do not ruin your trip and do everything safely for your own sake and for the sake of other travelers.
- If you are driving in Italy, the international license or your license with a sworn translation is essential, O.K.? If you don’t have it, don’t drive, as you will have a lot of problems if you are stopped by the Italian police! READ THE POST DO I NEED AN INTERNATIONAL DRIVER’S LICENSE TO DRIVE IN ITALY (PID)?
Watch this video and learn: 10 cities to visit in Italy
Subscribe to our channel and receive more videos with information and tips about Italy. Don’t forget to leave that Like;)
Traveling by motorhome in Italy? Although we never think of an option as a trailer for traveling, the trip can be extremely pleasant, different and leave us great stories to tell our friends and family. What about that? Have a nice trip!
If you feel insecure or have no time, and need help to organize your trip, do not hesitate to look for me! I will love to help you make your dream trip to Italy. And how can I do that? Continue reading this post until the end and you will understand how can we make your life and journey easier.
Did my post help you? If yes, make sure to leave your comment below, but if you still have questions, just leave them as a comment below and I will reply, O.K.?