How to get to San Gimignano from Florence?
San Gimignano is home to the most famous gelateria in the world, Gelateria Dondoli! San Gimignano is not the most popular place for tourists, but it is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful in Tuscany! It is full of Palaces and its Cathedral is very beautiful! How to get to San Gimignano from Florence? Here at Your Travel to Italy with Ana Patricia you make the trip of your dreams!!! ALSO: see our “Accommodation in Italy – Tips for your holidays!” and What to do in San Gimignano?
1) How to get to San Gimignano from Florence? WITH PUBLIC TRANSPORT
We will now list some options on how to get to San Gimignano with Public Transport. Read also The 10 must-see places in Tuscany!
Public Transport – Train
The first option that we will present is, of course, by train:
- Take the train at Santa Maria Novella station in Florence and head towards Poggibonsi, some trains are switched when they reach Empoli.
- From Poggibonsi to San Gimignano: take bus 130, which leaves Piazza Giuseppe Mazzini, in front of the station. Disembark at Porta San Giovanni. There is no direct transport from Florence BY TRAIN.
- You can buy tickets online and, I really advise you to buy them in advance, so that everything is more planned and, with that, you save a lot of time! Always remember to validate your tickets at the stations.
- Trip duration: average of 50 minutes, departures approximately every 60 minutes.
From the station you can go: to the historic center, visit the palaces that dominate the city and the beautiful twin towers of the Salvucci Palace. On foot, if you have time, stop at one of the many bars for coffee!
Watch this video and learn: What is the average cost of a day in Italy?
Subscribe to our channel and receive more videos with information and tips about Italy. Don’t forget to leave that Like;)
Public Transport – Bus
- By bus, take line 131O (“corse ordinarie”) that leaves Autostazione Sita (right next to Santa Maria Novella station).
- Buses run every 60 minutes.
- ATTENTION: Train and bus timetables change during the winter and also in the summer, check before leaving via this website!
- Going by bus, you get off almost in front of the historic center. It is a 5 minute walk and you are close to the most important tourist spots.
- Remember to put: FIRENZE AUTOSTAZIONE – SAN GIMIGNIANO.
Advantages with Train and Bus
- Ideal option for people who like to do things at their own pace;
- For people who are used to traveling, mainly by train;
- For young people, for those who are backpacking;
- And especially for people who want to save money and are in no hurry.
Disadvantages with Train and Bus (and not advisable)
- For families with young children and for elderly people it ends up being very tiring. I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT!
- Having to adapt to the fixed timetables of roundtrip trains or buses.
- Having to go to the sights alone, without knowing the city or speaking the local language.
- Time wasted on public buses from railway stations to places where tourist attractions are located or money you will spend extra on taxi once you reach your destination.
- One more thing: the time that is wasted with all these trips could be used to make the most of the visited city!
Another detail worth mentioning
Get ready because, generally, the regional railway trains are very bad and sometimes very dirty, so don’t create high expectations! If you use the train, whenever possible choose the high speed train to avoid this type of problem.
Buy your ticket with discount!
- Buy your ticket online, in advance and save a lot, read the Post “How to buy a train ticket in Italy?“.
- One very important thing: be prepared because regional railroad trains are often very bad and, sometimes, very dirty, so don’t set high expectations regarding the south trains because, vis-à-vis, you can have a huge disappointment! To understand the differences in trains in Italy, read this post: What is the difference between trains in Italy?
2) How to get to San Gimignano from Florence? WITH A GROUP TOUR
In a group tour that offers, more or less, what a private tour offers, the difference is that the city tour has fixed days to carry out the tours. This type of proposal is unique, in terms of quality and benefit, as you will get a much better price, since the values can be shared with more people.
Group tours are a great alternative for those who do not want to spend so much and for those who are not used to traveling alone, and therefore prefer to be in a group, where there will be a person who will organize all the day’s tours! That way you don’t have to worry about anything! Just being rested and willing to visit magnificent places!
- IDEAL option if you are alone, as a couple or with up to seven friends;
- To save the time you would spend going to the train stations, or with transportation to reach the tourist places to be visited in Pompeii;
- Visit of TWO cities on the same day (Naples and Pompeii);
- You will be able to enjoy a “bicchiere di vino” (glass of wine) during lunch without having to worry about driving later :), since in Italy the laws are strict against those who drive after they drank (even a small amount of alcohol) ;
- Less time spent traveling, with taxis, trains and transportation;
- Service with the charm that only Italian people can offer and with the excellence that you are looking for!
- If you have children, great! In addition to having a discount, with the guide speaking in English, they will, in addition to understanding, questioning and learning much more than with a local guide! They will love it;
- If you are with elderly people or people with limited mobility, this option is ideal, as it requires little movement and, when necessary, you will have all the necessary assistance.
- There is practically none, just the fact of adapting your plans to the program of the day.
- Remember to always read customer testimonials before proceeding with your reservation.
Excursion to San Gimignano, Siena and Chianti with Civitatis
3) How to get to San Gimignano from Florence? WITH A RENTED CAR
If you prefer to do things with more tranquility and freedom of time, you can choose to rent a car to take this tour! The rental car is the ideal choice if you don’t worry about taking a few, so to speak, unnecessary turns. It is always complicated to drive on roads that we do not know and it varies from person to person, of course, and the type of trip you are used to. So use a good GPS!
How to get there by car?
Take the Firenze-Siena road, exit at Poggibonsi Nord and follow the signs for San Gimignano. And follow the important tips below. Use a GPS, although they are well signposted, the roads can confuse those who are not used to driving on Italian roads.
- If you are in a group with 4 or 5 people it will be a great option instead of taking the train;
- Great for visiting more places on the same day, at your time and pace;
- It is the best kind of transport for people who are used to driving anywhere and it is easy to locate!
- IF YOU DRIVE: DO NOT DRINK!
- Generally, those who drive cannot enjoy the beautiful view around, because you can’t take your eyes off the road!
- Extra expenses with GPS (average price of € 10.00 / € 15.00 – A DAY) so you don’t get lost so much.
- Another thing, folks: to drive in Italy, as I have explained several times, is it essential to have an International Driver License AND your original driver license (in English) or with an official translation, ok?! If you don’t have these documents: DO NOT DRIVE, as you will have a lot of problems if you are stopped by the Italian police! READ ALSO: DO I NEED THE IDL TO DRIVE IN ITALY?
- Those who drive cannot drink, the Italian laws on this are very strict and you take the risk of getting a really huge fine. So if you intend to taste great Italian wine during lunch pay attention about it! Don’t risk ruining your vacation!
- It is not a suitable option for people who do not have the confidence to ask for information, especially if they do not speak Italian, as with the train or the bus not knowing the territory you can end up wasting precious time that could be used for tourist visits.
Traveling by car in Italy
How about if I give you a rental car option? Are you ready for it? If you are renting a car be sure to read our posts in the section Driving in Italy on the blog Your Travel to Italy. In addition to car itinerary tips, we have everything about signage, tolls, roads and many more tips.
Don’t know where to rent the car?
We have a partner that can help you: Rent Cars! Have you ever thought about renting a car in Italy, without leaving your home? Click on the banner below to learn more! Search, compare and choose!
4) How to get to San Gimignano from Florence? WITH A PRIVATE TOUR
The last option is a private tour. The advantage of the private tour is the total freedom to decide your own time, not having to wait to leave, wasting unnecessary time using it to get to know other places. In addition, the tour departs comfortably from your hotel, which is important when you have little time available to visit a few places.
In addition, of course, the arrival will not be at the train or bus station, but directly at the tourist spot you want to visit. And if you book in advance, you will often be able to have the driver speaking your language, so you can easily ask for clarification about the trip.
This type of tour is ideal for VIPs, who want to enjoy the trip from the beginning to the end. Excellent option for small groups of people or elderly people. This type of service guarantees absolute comfort for those who travel. Basically, you should just enjoy the tour without the stress of attending train, subway, bus schedules, or worrying about where the main places to be seen are!
- IDEAL option if you are a couple or with up to seven friends!
- It is safe, comfortable and you make your own schedules!
- Great for visiting more places on the same day, at your time and pace;
- You can enjoy a “bicchiere di vino” during lunch without having to worry about driving later :), since in Italy the laws are strict against those who drive after they drank (even a small amount of alcohol);
- You won’t have to worry about train or bus schedules, you won’t have to worry about whether you will be able to return to Rome or not.
- No need to ‘stick’ to schedules and itineraries.
- You will save a LOT of time, which you would lose with commuting by bus and train.
- The rate is a little higher, but a worthwhile investment! Especially if you like to do everything on your own time, with no pressure.
Watch this video about San Gimignano in Tuscany !!!
(Source Drone Nomads)
How to get to San Gimignano from Florence? San Gimignano is not the most popular place for tourists, but it is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful in Tuscany! Here you can see our tips and options to visit San Gimignano from Florence! And if you feel insecure or have no time, and need help to organize your trip, do not hesitate to look for me! I will love to help you make your dream trip to Italy. And how can I do that? Continue reading this post until the end and you will understand how can we make your life and journey easier.
Did my post help you? If yes, make sure to leave your comment below, but if you still have questions, just leave them as a comment below and I will reply, O.K.?