How to go to Cinque Terre from Florence?
Are you in Florence and have a free day? So be sure to take a special tour going to Cinque Terre! We will give you all possible options for a good trip. There are many beautiful locations that can be visited from Florence and here at Your Travel to Italy we will present several options throughout our new posts. Now for our special post of the day: How to go to Cinque terre from Florence? Here at Your Travel to Italy with Ana Patricia you make the trip of your dreams!!! ALSO: see our “Accommodation in Italy – Tips for your holidays!”
I suppose you’ve heard about Cinque Terre, haven’t you? Thery are 5 super beautiful villages on the Ligurian coast! They are built on the hillsides, very close to the sea, with crystal blue water, forming a unique setting !!! It is really worth visiting this paradise on earth !!
1) How to go to Cinque Terre from Florence? WITH A RENTED CAR
You will not be able to enter the car in the various villages, you can always reach a certain point, where you will have to park the car and walk, usually an average of 15 minutes on foot. In my opinion the best thing is to get to La Spezia and park there for the whole day and from there take the train that goes through all the villages. From Florence to La Spezia it is 150 kilometers and the estimated time is 1 hour and 50 minutes (according to traffic).
- If you are in a group with 4 or 5 people it will be a great option instead of taking the train;
- Great for visiting more places on the same day, at your time and pace;
- It is the best kind of transport for people who are used to driving anywhere and it is easy to locate!
- IF YOU DRIVE: DO NOT DRINK!
- Generally, those who drive cannot enjoy the beautiful view around, because you can’t take your eyes off the road!
- Extra expenses with GPS (average price of € 10.00 / € 15.00 – A DAY) so you don’t get lost so much.
- Another thing, folks: to drive in Italy, as I have explained several times, is it essential to have an International Driver License AND your original driver license (in English) or with an official translation, ok?! If you don’t have these documents: DO NOT DRIVE, as you will have a lot of problems if you are stopped by the Italian police! READ ALSO: DO I NEED THE IDL TO DRIVE IN ITALY?
- Those who drive cannot drink, the Italian laws on this are very strict and you take the risk of getting a really huge fine. So if you intend to taste great Italian wine during lunch pay attention about it! Don’t risk ruining your vacation!
- It is not a suitable option for people who do not have the confidence to ask for information, especially if they do not speak Italian, as with the train or the bus not knowing the territory you can end up wasting precious time that could be used for tourist visits.
Traveling by car in Italy
How about if I give you a rental car option? Are you ready for it? If you are renting a car be sure to read our posts in the section Driving in Italy on the blog Your Travel to Italy. In addition to car itinerary tips, we have everything about signage, tolls, roads and many more tips.
Don’t know where to rent the car?
We have a partner that can help you: Rent Cars! Have you ever thought about renting a car in Italy, without leaving your home? Click on the banner below to learn more! Search, compare and choose!
2) How to go to Cinque Terre from Florence? BY TRAIN
You must go to Florence Station and buy a ticket to La Spezia. Train schedules can change, so I advise you, before making the trip, check the schedules and organize all the coincidences so you don’t get lost later, O.K.? Stay VERY attentive to the schedules!
We will mainly find these 2 types of train
1. Regional Train: Direct train, but it takes 02:40 minutes;
2. Regional Train + Connection in Pisa where you will take the high speed train: Average time of 2 hours to arrive.
- Ideal option for people who like to do things at their own pace;
- For people who are used to travel mainly by train;
- For young people, for those who are backpacking;
- And especially for people who want to save money and are in no hurry.
- For families with young children and for elderly people it ends up being very tiring. I do not recommend IT!
- Having to adapt to the fixed schedules of trains (or buses) for the trip;
- Having to go to the tourist spots alone, without knowing the city or speaking the local language;
- Time wasted on public buses from railway stations to places where tourist attractions are located or extra money you will spend on taxi once you reach the destination;
- And especially the time that is wasted with all these journeys, which could be used to make the most of the visited city!
Buy your ticket with discount!
- Buy your ticket online, in advance and save a lot, read the Post “How to buy a train ticket in Italy?“.
- One very important thing: be prepared because regional railroad trains are often very bad and, sometimes, very dirty, so don’t set high expectations regarding the south trains because, vis-à-vis, you can have a huge disappointment! To understand the differences in trains in Italy, read this post: What is the difference between trains in Italy?
3) How to go to Cinque Terre from Florence? WITH A GROUP TOUR
Group tours are a great alternative for those who do not want to spend so much and for those who are not used to traveling alone and therefore prefer to be with other people, where you will have a manager who will organize all the day’s tours! That way you don’t have to worry about anything! Just being rested and willing to visit magnificent places!
- IDEAL option if you are alone, as a couple or with up to seven friends;
- To save the time you would spend going to the train stations, or with transportation to reach the tourist places to be visited in Pompeii;
- Visit of TWO cities on the same day (Naples and Pompeii);
- You will be able to enjoy a “bicchiere di vino” (glass of wine) during lunch without having to worry about driving later :), since in Italy the laws are strict against those who drive after they drank (even a small amount of alcohol) ;
- Less time spent traveling, with taxis, trains and transportation;
- Service with the charm that only Italian people can offer and with the excellence that you are looking for!
- If you have children, great! In addition to having a discount, with the guide speaking in English, they will, in addition to understanding, questioning and learning much more than with a local guide! They will love it;
- If you are with elderly people or people with limited mobility, this option is ideal, as it requires little movement and, when necessary, you will have all the necessary assistance.
- There is practically none, just the fact of adapting your plans to the program of the day.
- Remember to always read customer testimonials before proceeding with your reservation.
English language tour: Cinque TErre from Rome with Civitatis
CLICK HERE WITHOUT PURCHASE OBLIGATION!
4) How to go to Cinque Terre from Florence? WITH A PRIVATE TOUR
The last option is a private tour. The advantage of the private tour is the total freedom to decide your own time, not having to wait to leave, wasting unnecessary time using it to get to know other places. In addition, the tour departs comfortably from your hotel, which is important when you have little time available to visit a few places.
In addition, of course, the arrival will not be at the train or bus station, but directly at the tourist spot you want to visit. And if you book in advance, you will often be able to have the driver speaking your language, so you can easily ask for clarification about the trip.
This type of tour is ideal for VIPs, who want to enjoy the trip from the beginning to the end. Excellent option for small groups of people or elderly people. This type of service guarantees absolute comfort for those who travel. Basically, you should just enjoy the tour without the stress of attending train, subway, bus schedules, or worrying about where the main places to be seen are!
- IDEAL option if you are a couple or with up to seven friends!
- It is safe, comfortable and you make your own schedules!
- Great for visiting more places on the same day, at your time and pace;
- You can enjoy a “bicchiere di vino” during lunch without having to worry about driving later :), since in Italy the laws are strict against those who drive after they drank (even a small amount of alcohol);
- You won’t have to worry about train or bus schedules, you won’t have to worry about whether you will be able to return to Rome or not.
- No need to ‘stick’ to schedules and itineraries.
- You will save a LOT of time, which you would lose with commuting by bus and train.
- The rate is a little higher, but a worthwhile investment! Especially if you like to do everything on your own time, with no pressure.
Click here and ask for a free quotation!!!
How to get from La Spezia to Cinque Terre?
Arriving in La Spezia you will take the train that leaves for the villages, I advise you to buy the 5 Terre Card Train, which entitles you to unlimited train transportation between La Spezia, the Cinque Terre and Levanto, throughout the day (it’s great to return at the last minute to the village you liked best). Cards can be purchased directly from La Spezia, Levanto and Cinque Terre stations.
You can get to know all the towns by train or walking the trails, which are beautiful and pass very close to the sea, with a wonderful view! Some stretches are more difficult and need more breath, have steep climbs, several steps and pass near cliffs, but it is worth the effort, because the view is really beautiful.
What are the Villages?
Learn a little of the villages to be visited in Cinque Terre.
Riomaggiore and Manarola
In the direction of La Spezia, the first village is Riomaggiore. The route from Riomaggiore to the second village Manarola, I advise you to do it on foot, via Via Dell’Amore (Love Street). In addition to the path being beautiful, there are several legends that involve this romantic and common practice among Italians, to ensure an eternal love, pay attention to the padlocks scattered along the path, which celebrate love and unity among lovers!
The third village is Corniglia. Important thing, Corniglia is the only one where the boat does not stop because it is the one that is the highest, for you to reach the village you will need to climb the ‘Lardarina’, a staircase formed by almost 400 steps, but the effort is worth it !! The view from the top is wonderful! If you arrive with the train, from the train station you can take a bus to the village (price included in the Cinque Terre Card) or have the option to climb all the steps I mentioned earlier.
The fourth village is Vernazza with a beautiful historic center and the fifth and last village is called Monterosso al Mare where you will find the best beaches and is also the one with the greatest accommodation option. The average journey from the first village to the last one is half an hour, so you can get off, visit the village, take the train again and go to the next one (or go on the trails or by boat).
- I find it interesting that a trip is done with the boat, because the view with the boat is definitely the most special! If the weather is beautiful, do it, O.K.?
- Remember to buy tickets considering all route times.
Watch this video and learn: Five things to never do in Italy
Subscribe to our channel and receive more videos with information and tips about Italy. Don’t forget to leave that Like;)
How to go to Cinque Terre from Florence? What are you waiting for?! Come and discover the beauty of this very special place !! Dive into the crystal clear waters, stroll calmly through the villages where time seems to have stopped !! Be enchanted by these angles of paradise in Italy!
If you feel insecure or have no time, and need help to organize your trip, do not hesitate to look for me! I will love to help you make your dream trip to Italy. And how can I do that? Continue reading this post until the end and you will understand how can we make your life and journey easier
Did my post help you? If yes, make sure to leave your comment below, but if you still have questions, just leave them as a comment below and I will reply, O.K.?
An Extra Help for your Trip
Car Rental in Italy - Want to travel in Italy by car but don't know where to rent one? We have the solution for you!
Suitcase to bring wine from Italy - How about a suitcase for you to take the best Italian wines to your house? Learn more about this facility
The best content from Your Travel to Italy!
Learn more about our tours in Italy right now!
- What to visit in Italy in 10 days?
- The ten must-see places in Tuscany?
- The best tips to save on your trip to Italy?
- What are the 10 most visited cities in southern Italy?
- Airports in Italy? How to get to your hotel? (Venice, Milan, Rome, Florence)
- What to do in 1/2/3/4 days in the main Italian cities?
- The best tips on food in Italy (wines, typical food, enogastronomy tours)
- How to get from Fiumicino Airport to Rome downtown?
- Your Travel to Italy: 10 tips for traveling through Italy!
Best regards from Italy