Is there a baggage allowance on Italian trains?
How much luggage can I take on the train in Italy? Yes !!! Here you will know how to board your luggage in Italy in a quiet and safe way. Just follow our tips and everything will be fine;) Traveling by train is great, and having trains that cross the whole European territory is even better. But knowing how to travel efficiently, paying less and with light luggage that fits any little corner: it’s priceless! So find out here: Is there a baggage allowance on Italian trains? Here at Your Travel to Italy with Ana Patricia you make the trip of your dreams!!! ALSO: see our “Accommodation in Italy – Tips for your holidays!”
1) Is there a baggage allowance on Italian trains? UNDERSTAND ABOUT THE SUITCASES
Pack a very light suitcase! Opt for medium bags and do not fill completely. Remember that you will probably go shopping abroad and it is not worth buying another suitcase or pay excess baggage to return to your country (with rare exceptions!). As if that were not enough: some trains (mainly regional!) have two steps at the entrance, imagine what it is like to lift a very heavy suitcase there? It would be a disaster! At train stations there is no employee to help you with your luggage, that is: you will have to carry your suitcase! Also keep in mind that the space on a train is extremely small compared to the plane.
Allowable Bag Size
The average size allowed by railway companies in Europe (including Italy) is 1 baggage of 75x53x30 cm; with a maximum weight of 23 kg. Obviously, business and first class have more space for you to accommodate your luggage, even due to the fact that you have fewer seats. If your bag is large or giant, you will need to check it out, so you are likely to arrive at the station before it. Another thing: Trenitalia presents a luggage insurance option, other operators do not! Book the Trenitalia service to check your luggage.
- Inquire and whenever the train stops at a station, check to see if your bag is still there, O.K.? Do you know the meaning of “trust, but verify?” That’s it! ???? Keep an eye on it.
See the photos to understand where the luggage will be:
Important to Know
- If your suitcase is obstructing a passage, or disturbing other users, you may even be fined and “invited” to leave the train at the next station.
- The fact that someone or an employee “teases” your luggage is casual, it may be that they do and it may not be! In 17 years that I live here no employee has ever checked my luggage or said anything. When traveling by train, think about YOUR convenience!
- The spaces in the luggage racks are small, often at the top and you will not always have the help you may need, so it is much better that you bring a baggage that you can handle on your own! Be practical;)
2) Is there a baggage allowance on Italian trains? KNOW THE RULES
Each company has its own rules for luggage, so find out before you travel what “you can” and what “ you can’t” to avoid unpleasant surprises when you’re there, O.K.?! Also check if it is necessary to reserve a seat: some trains have marked seats, others do not! Suggestion: : buy the ticket in advance, so you guarantee a discount and your seat in the desired seat and train carriage.
Useful and Important Information
Pay attention to the name of the stations so you don’t get lost! Take notes and carefully monitor the movement of the train.
To validate the Ticket
Validate your ticket BEFORE boarding! Ps .: If you bought it online and the ticket has the PNR number (reservation number) it is not necessary to validate it, but always remember to check your ticket, which will be specifying whether you will have to validate (convalidare in Italian). I am not responsible for any changes in the way of operation of the railways, so before entering the train always check what is written on the ticket. I always prefer to arrive at the locations early and ask, as there may be changes in the companies. Find out here how to Validate your Train Ticket in Italy!
Important to Know
- Do not be late! Trains in Italy are punctual and do not tolerate delays, that is: if you arrive late, you will be left behind and you will lose your ticket.
- Boarding and disembarking are fast and really, really, really messy! Be careful at these times not to accidentally change your suitcase!
- For long distance journeys, there are restaurant wagons on the trains, but not on smaller sections. If you want you can take your snack without any problem! Don’t forget to take your trash with you when you disembark!
Watch this video and learn: What is the average cost of a day in Italy?
Subscribe to our channel and receive more videos with information and tips about Italy. Don’t forget to leave that Like;)
Is there a baggage allowance on Italian trains? Traveling is great and having trains that cross the whole European territory is even better, but to know how to travel quickly, with light luggage that will fit in any little corner: it’s priceless!
If you feel insecure or have no time, and need help to organize your trip, do not hesitate to look for me! I will love to help you make your dream trip to Italy. And how can I do that? Continue reading this post until the end and you will understand how can we make your life and journey easier
Did my post help you? If yes, make sure to leave your comment below, but if you still have questions, just leave them as a comment below and I will reply, O.K.?
An Extra Help for your Trip
Car Rental in Italy - Want to travel in Italy by car but don't know where to rent one? We have the solution for you!
Suitcase to bring wine from Italy - How about a suitcase for you to take the best Italian wines to your house? Learn more about this facility
The best content from Your Travel to Italy!
Learn more about our tours in Italy right now!
- What to visit in Italy in 10 days?
- The ten must-see places in Tuscany?
- The best tips to save on your trip to Italy?
- What are the 10 most visited cities in southern Italy?
- Airports in Italy? How to get to your hotel? (Venice, Milan, Rome, Florence)
- What to do in 1/2/3/4 days in the main Italian cities?
- The best tips on food in Italy (wines, typical food, enogastronomy tours)
- How to get from Fiumicino Airport to Rome downtown?
- Your Travel to Italy: 10 tips for traveling through Italy!
Best regards from Italy