Where to go for Christmas and New Year dinner in Italy?
Of the several magnificent Italian cities, four of them are the most popular for the holidays: Rome, Venice, Milan and Florence. All of them have a special program at the end of the year (both for Christmas and New Year) and, despite the cold, public places, such as Piazza San Marco (St Mark’s Square), get CROWDED! The festivities, especially the New Year’s (Capodanno) in all these cities are always great and they go late into the night, to find out more about it read our Special Post What to do in Italy for the New Year? But after all, where to go for Christmas and New Year dinner in Italy? Here at Your Travel to Italy with Ana Patriciayou make the trip of your dreams!!! ALSO: see our “Accommodation in Italy – Tips for your holidays!”
In Italy there is a saying that says “Natale con i tuoi, Capodanno con chi vuoi’ ”in free translation something like“ Christmas with your family, New Year with whomever you want ”, and it is something that they really follow. Italians value the family very much and all the chances they have to reunite with their loved ones, and many insist on spending Christmas at home, that is, street parties are not as big as New Year’s, but still there is festivity in some parts of the cities, and many restaurants close, another reason for the closure are the Christmas Masses, as it is the capital of Catholicism in the world, it doesn’t need much explanation, does it ?! Masses pop up in countless churches and it is very common for whole families to attend midnight mass together.
Dinner on 12/24 and 12/31 (and lunch on the following day) are always special and in Italy it would not be different. See our Section on Food in Italy!
- Typical dishes, abundance, flavors and aromas to drive any mortal crazy.
- When the clock strikes midnight in the New Year, Cotechino and Lenticchie are served (cotechino is a kind of fresh sausage – DELICIOUS! – with Lenticchie, lentils, which is known worldwide as a symbol of good luck for the coming year!).
Book in advance! As not all places open for cenone, (the name they give to Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve dinner, it would be something like ‘a big dinner, a banquet) you may not find a nice place, so , get organized. Some hotels open their kitchens on those evenings, so if you prefer, when you book, inquire, or it may be that they have an agreement with a restaurant and you can get a more “special” price.
- The amount can vary from 80 to 500 Euros, everything will depend on the chosen place, some places in Rome, for example, close the table for 12 people for 1,000 Euros!
- Reservations, in many cases, can be made online.
- Below you will find restaurant tips in the main cities. Most make the reservation directly through the website, if you need to send an email to ask for information, I advise you to send in English or Italian, example email:
Vorrei prenotare un tavolo per la cena / the pranzo (dinner or lunch) from the 24th to the 31st (for the 24th or the 21st) for…. (number of people).
Potrei ricevere informazione sul prezzo and sul vostro menu?
… (your name)
Remember to take the part in English…
Important to Know
- The restaurant does not always open at Christmas and New Year, some choose to open only at New Year, as, as mentioned, Italians highly value Christmas with family.
- December 26th is HOLIDAY in Italy, as it is Saint Stephen’s day, you know how it is: to recover from two days of eating, a holiday after the holiday goes down really well, doesn’t it ?! (laughs) So it is possible that MANY establishments DO NOT OPEN! As always: find out at the hotel reception what works and what doesn’t. It is a great time to walk through the city with no hurry, calm and tranquility.
- Public transport works during reduced hours at the end of the year, usually until 9 pm – but each city has its own schedule and some only reduce the fleet, but do not stop entirely, so if you choose to dine outside the neighborhood where you are stay, schedule to come and go, O.K.?!
- I will be very sincere: call the restaurant you are interested in or send an email to find out if it will work.
- Many owners decide to open or not just a month in advance. If I suggest a restaurant at this time, I get the risk of the owner deciding not to open and then I would be giving you wrong information, understandable, right ?!
- But, so as not to leave you in the ‘dark’ and I give you a tip: in the beginning of November, go to the website of the restaurants you are “dating” to check if information about the openings and dinners for Christmas and New Year is already available New. Also find out What to do for Christmas in the main Italian cities?
Tip for the New Year
- New Year is synonymous with party and a full city! Below we suggest some places that, in addition to the cenone, also offer fun and, some, closed parties. Stay with us and follow our tips!
1) Where to go for Christmas and New Year dinner in Italy? IN ROME
Check now indications in the city of Rome.
Lievito and Farina
LIEVITO AND FARINA: the menu includes antipasto, appetizer, main course, dessert, a bottle of wine, a bottle of water, toast at midnight and cotechino and lentils.
- Average price: 75.00 Euros per person.
- Address: Piazza della Cancelleria, 86-87 – Rome.
SHAKE ROMA: with a very varied menu in the best buffet style, includes several options of salads, hot dishes and desserts, also includes a toast and a bottle of wine for every 4 people. At 0:00 am cotechino and lentils are served and, by paying another 10 Euros, you can stretch the night out, with the right to a drink.
- Average price: 30 Euros (plus 10 for the party, optional) per person.
- Address: Via di Monte Testaccio, 35 – Rome.
2) Where to go for Christmas and New Year dinner in Italy? IN VENICE
Check now indications in the city of Serenissima, Venice.
La Cupola di Venezia
LA CUPOLA DI VENEZIA: CONFIRMED DINNER AND CHRISTMAS LUNCH! In this case (rare!), I suggest you confirm availability for the New Year. With a varied menu including pasta, risottos, desserts and other delicacies, the Carlton hotel restaurant is one of the most traditional and beautiful in Venice! In a privileged location, it is very traditional! The menu does not include drinks.
- Average price: 85.00 euros per person.
- Address: Santa Croce, 578, Grand Canal – Venice.
Crowne Plaza Venice Hotel
HOTEL CROWNE PLAZA VENICE: the menu is always very well served and includes three glasses of award-winning wines to taste with the special menu. Not to mention the midnight toast and the hotel’s own fireworks display! Dinner includes one night (or if you prefer, the night includes dinner! Haha).
- Average price: 295.00 euros for two people.
- Address: Viale della Resistenza, 18 – Quarto d’Altino, Venice.
3) Where to go for Christmas and New Year supper in Italy? IN FLORENCE
Check now indications in the city of Florence.
TOUCH: one of the most beautiful restaurants in the city offers a delicious new year cenone. The menu is very varied and the location is excellent.
- Average price: 95.00 euros per person.
- Address: Via di Mezzo 42R – Florence.
BATIPALLA: in addition to the incredible special menu for the cenone, it is possible to admire the fireworks from the terrace on the spot. The party is really beautiful!
- Average price: 65.00 euros
- Address: Piazza santa Croce 12 rosso – Florence.
4) Where to go for Christmas and New Year supper in Italy? IN MILAN
Check now indications in the city of Milan.
NYX HOTEL: one of the newest hotels in Milan, the hotel has already established itself as one of the best! New Year’s dinner is an incredible party and the location is EXCELLENT! The menu is very varied and, with another 35 Euros, you can participate in the hotel’s nightclub, have 3 drinks and a glass of sparkling wine.
- Average price: 85.00 Euros per person + 35 Euros for the party (per person, optional).
- Address: Piazza Quattro Novembre, 3 – Milan.
VILLA BORROMEO: one of the most classic hotels in Milan celebrates the New Year in great style, with a beautiful gala party and special menu. The tables are for 8 to 10 people, which makes everything even more fun (making friends is always good!).
- Average price: 90 euros per person ¬ + 40 euros for the party (per person, optional)
- Address: Via Vittorio Veneto, 58, Cassano d’Adda – Milano.
- The suggested dress, for most parties, is smart casual or black tie, depending on the location.
- Dinner is usually served around 8:30 pm, always be on time and follow the invitation times. Remember to bring an identification document.
- As you can see, the prices are not the lowest, but this is true across Italy.
- Reinforcing: MAKE THE RESERVATION IN ADVANCE! And don’t forget to confirm via email, O.K.?!
- An alternative? Instead of staying in a hotel, choose to stay in an apartment where you can prepare your own supper with more peace of mind and economy.
Guys, it is worth remembering that some times may change according to the season, so check before going to the location. A good suggestion is to book in advance, mainly on two occasions: during the summer, in high season, when the city is FULL and for dinner, which is usually the busiest time. Find out here How to book a restaurant in Italy?
It is evident that the city offers a wide range of restaurants: the more centralized, the more expensive! If you want more affordable places, move away from the center a bit or look for them in the adjacent streets, those little known by tourists. One suggestion is to ask if the hotel where you are staying has any indication: sometimes they are affiliated and even offer a discount. Also ask if the hotel has a restaurant: sometimes they have restaurants and it ends up going unnoticed in our madness to find a good and cheap restaurant.
Where to go for Christmas and New Year’s Eve in Italy? Christmas and New Year in Italy are always special, in any city you choose: you will not regret it! And if you feel insecure or have no time, and need help to organize your trip, do not hesitate to look for me! I will love to help you make your dream trip to Italy. And how can I do that? Continue reading this post until the end and you will understand how can we make your life and journey easier.
Did my post help you? If yes, make sure to leave your comment below, but if you still have questions, just leave them as a comment below and I will reply, O.K.?