What to see in Favignana?
Part of the Egadi Islands, Favignana is a Sicilian jewel. With its natural beauty, the island offers several attractions full of charm, culture and history. Accessible from Trapani, today we are going to visit this jewel in the middle of the sea. Our destination today is Favignana. So, shall what to see in Favignana, in the Egadi Islands? Come with us and travel on this post and put Favignana on your itinerary in Italy! Here at Your Travel to Italy with Ana Patriciayou make the trip of your dreams!!! ALSO: see our “Accommodation in Italy – Tips for your holidays!”
Watch this video about Favignana and see how beautiful it is!
(Source: Visit Sicily official page)
Trapani is famous for its crystal-clear sea and it is from this impressive sea that, in approximately half an hour, you can reach the beautiful Egadi Islands. The Sicilian archipelago consists of three main islands: Marettimo, Levanzo and Favignana, but it also houses smaller, less-known islands. Favignana is the main island of the archipelago and is located in a natural cove, where peace and tranquility reign supreme! How about a tour from Trapani: Levanzo and Favignana boat tour with lunch?
Called ‘the great sea butterfly’, thanks to its very particular shape that resembles ‘spread out’ wings, the Island of Favignana is located about 7 km off the west coast of Sicily. In this place, the sea, with its blue and crystalline reflections, is the real protagonist, along with its white sands and the sun that presents us with its ‘kisses at sea’. The breeze seems to embrace you and our eyes are mesmerized by all this set of natural beauties that come our way with each step taken.
1) What to see in Favignana? VISIT THE PORT
Arriving at this marvel of nature, you disembark at the small port of Favignana, which immediately shows its impressive landscapes formed by fishing nets, fishing boats and anchors. Thanks to its geomorphological formation, the island has beaches with fine sand and several fascinating caves, which need to be discovered!
2) What to see in Favignana? VISIT CALA ROSSA
Cala Rossa is certainly one of the most beautiful bays on the island, it is opposite the Lido Burrone, and is probably the most comfortable and well-structured beach on the island with bars, restaurants and some handicraft shops. Some other beaches are also worth mentioning: Cala del Pozzo, Cala Azzurra, Cala Rotonda and Punta Sottile. Scalo Cavallo is a terrace located on a cliff high above the sea: a series of tunnels and cave entrances lead us to this impressive place. The view from the top is AWESOME! It calms the soul and the heart!
3) What to see in Favignana? VISIT PUNTA FANFALO AND GROTTA PERCIATA
There are also the incredible rocky areas like Punta Fanfalo and Grotta Perciata, ideal for diving enthusiasts. Other interesting sea places are Preveto and Punta Lunga. The Grotto of Sighs is a must-see! It transports us to an atmosphere of dream, peace and tranquility, something unique and full of charm!
4) What to see in Favignana? VISIT THE MUSEUM AND CASTLE
Be sure to visit the Museum of the Old Factory of Florio, a true archaeological jewel where you can admire artifacts from different historical periods; the museum houses various marine equipment, boats and some anchors, true relics!
Among the monuments, there are some that need to be highlighted; among them the Castle at the top of Mount Santa Catarina, which, with its 314 meters high, is the highest point on the island. It was erected as a simple watchtower in the 9th century, and then expanded and strengthened until it took on its current structure, which happened in 1655. Today, unfortunately, it is somewhat abandoned, but it is still possible to imagine its entire splendor from the most ancient times and, even without being able to see all its splendor from other times, it presents itself in an attractive and passionate way.
5) What to see in Favignana? VISIT THE CHURCH OF THE IMMACULATE VIRGIN CONCEPTION
Another symbol of great importance on the island of Favignana is the Church of the Virgin of the Immaculate Conception, which is, of course, in its historic center. It is famous both for its spectacular façade dating from the 18th century, and for the valuable relics it houses inside, such as, for example, a wooden crucifix from the 18th century and for a statue of Saint Anthony, all in marble, from the 17th century. . In fact, the historic center of the city is very well structured, and offers good options for strategic stops, both for a longer lunch as well as for a quick coffee and a sip of water! It is a great option to buy souvenirs! Give preference to the handicrafts made there: they are beautiful, authentic and very special!
6) What to see in Favignana? VISIT VILLA FLORIO
Be sure to visit Villa Florio. A neo-Gothic building that today houses the tourist information point (great place to get a map of the region, which can help you – a lot – to discover all the beauties of the island and around it ) and the old factory in Favignana; there, all tuna fisheries were worked. One of the largest structures in Italy, little by little been transformed into a kind of museum. Inside, it is possible to observe different historical artifacts, as well as videos that portray ancient images related to different moments in the city.
Map with the attractions in Favignana
7) What to see in Favignana? VISIT THE CAVES
Among the other places that combine nature and history, the incredible Cala San Nicola, which features the old port of the city and several houses inside caves, where several drawings from the Paleolithic and Neolithic eras were found. The Bagno delle Donne is another structure built in a cave and dates from the second or third century AD. The tuff is a rock very common on the island and has been used in its construction for centuries. The tuff deposits can be visited and it is a great option for those who want to unite culture, beauty, nature and lots of history!
- Be sure to travel to other islands in the region! In the Port of Favignana, there are several great options for transport to the other islands. If in doubt, several companies offer packages that go through all the islands and bring together the main points of almost all. Ask for information at the hotel reception too, sometimes they have some negotiations with companies that offer the service and they can offer great discounts!
8) What to see in Favignana? GET TO NOW ITS GASTRONOMY
Among all these attractions, you can not miss the culinary flavors of the island. The historic center and its surroundings offer excellent options for strategic breaks. Here are some locations. Read our Section on Food in Italy!
- Sotto Sale – With typical dishes, the place is pleasant, the service excellent and the portions, great!
- Where it is: Via Garibaldi, 9 – Favignana
- Hours: every day, from 7:30 pm to midnight.
- Scialae – A simpler option, but without losing flavor and quality, it is a great option for quick, tasty meals at great prices!
- Where it is: Via Archimede, 24 – Favignana.
- Hours: every day, from 8:30 am to 11:30 pm.
Ristorante and Bar Cavallo
- Ristorante and Bar Cavallo – At the ‘side of the road’, the restaurant is super charming and its cuisine is home-made. It presents typical dishes, well executed and the service is exquisite.
- Where it is: Contrada Cavallo, 75 – Strada Vic. della Madonna – Favignana.
- Hours: every day, from 9:00 am to midnight.
- Formica – With seafood dishes, the restaurant is charming, well decorated and the dishes are made with fresh ingredients, full of flavor. The service is great and the location is excellent!
- Where it is: Via Roma, 52 – Favignana.
- Hours: every day, from 12:30 pm to 03:00 pm and from 07:30 pm to 11:00 pm.
How to get to Favignana?
Some cities offer transport (via ferry) to Favignana.
- The best option (faster, easier and cheaper!) Is leaving Trapani. From the port of Trapani, you can take a ferry to Favignana and the journey (with a stop in Levanzo) lasts between half an hour and 40 minutes.
- Departures take place between 06:30 am and 08:00 pm (of course, in case of abnormal weather conditions, the schedules may change without notice!).
- The ticket office is open from 7:10 am to 8:10 pm, that is, buy the ticket the day before to board the next day.
- The company responsible for the operation of the section is Liberty Lines (in the link it is possible to access the addresses where the tickets are sold).
- The round-trip ticket costs between 24 and 30 Euros.
Watch this video and learn: What is the average cost of a day in Italy?
Subscribe to our channel and receive more videos with information and tips about Italy. Don’t forget to leave that Like;)
What to see in Favignana? Favignana is the right destination for those who want to combine culture, history and nature in one trip. With exuberant beauties, Favignana will conquer your body, your soul and your heart!
Are you insecure?
And if you feel insecure or have no time, and need help to organize your trip, do not hesitate to look for me! I will love to help you make your dream trip to Italy. And how can I do that? Continue reading this post until the end and you will understand how can we make your life and journey easier.
Did my post help you? If yes, make sure to leave your comment below, but if you still have questions, just leave them as a comment below and I will reply, O.K.?