What to do during a connection in Rome?
Do you have plenty of time in Rome? How about, instead of spending a whole day at the airport doing nothing, take the opportunity to get to know a little of the eternal city? Waiting at airports can be desperate, we know that, don’t we? With that in mind, we have prepared a small guide on how to visit Rome. If you are connecting in the eternal city, here are the best options for you! Depending on the time available, it is possible to make a beautiful walk! Anyway, what to do during a connection in Rome? Here at Your Travel to Italy with Ana Patriciayou make the trip of your dreams!!! ALSO: see our “Accommodation in Italy – Tips for your holidays!”
First of all, you should always calculate the time available. Take into account the time you will spend between disembarkation and embarkation (which is usually about an hour for disembarkation and another one hour for embarkation). In addition, you must calculate that you must always be at the airport at least two hours before departure, so you have less than three hours available. The important thing is to calculate and plan everything correctly so you don’t have a headache and miss the flight. Also read What to visit near Rome? The best round trips from Rome.
If you have between 3 and 4 hours, it is advisable to stay at the airport strolling and shopping in the various stores with a free shop. Better not take any chances! If you have more than 4 hours at your disposal (ideally a minimum of 6 hours), you can drop by the center of Rome. Now we will present the options for you to reach the center of Rome in the best possible way! Read also, What to do in Rome in 1 Day?
1) What to do during a connection in Rome? WITH A PRIVATE TOUR
This other option will give you the possibility to hire the service of a private driver who will pick you up at the airport and will take you on a panoramic tour of the main tourist monuments in Rome. It is a super cool service, which costs a little more, but it is certainly worth paying a little more and being able to get to know the eternal city, isn’t it? Have you ever thought about taking a tour with no worries about getting around and managing time? This is possible with a private tour, as the driver knows the city well.
This option guarantees absolute comfort for those traveling with little time. Just enjoy the ride without the stress of attending train, subway, bus schedules, or worrying about where the main places to be seen are! With a driver available during approximately 5 hours, we will be able to take the following tour:
- He will pick you up at the airport and take you first to make a quick visit to St. Paul’s Basilica, where the body of the apostle Paul is, then he will go to the center, where we will start visiting Imperial Rome, passing by the Coliseum, Paladin, Roman Forum, Imperial Forum, Altar of the Homeland and Campidoglio.
- Obviously, with so little time available, it is not advisable to stop for lunch at a restaurant, so I advise you to eat a fast sandwich or slice of pizza in the various “pizzerie a taglio”. After the quick meal, we will continue the tour passing by the Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Navona Square and, finally, if you still have time, to the St Peter’s Basilica. * the tour is obviously indicative, it will depend a lot on the will of each client. After all, our partners are here to satisfy the customer in the best possible way!
Important to Know
- The driver cannot get into some places with the car, but he will always get you off as close to the monument as possible, picking you up and continuing the tour to the next monument, and explaining how to get around where he cannot accompany with the car.
- The main thing is, with a driver at your disposal, you will be able to relax and enjoy the tour, because you will know that he will be responsible for taking you in time to the airport to take your next flight!
- IDEAL option if you are a couple or with a group of friends!
- It is safe, comfortable and you make your own schedules!
- You will not have to worry about train or bus timetables; you will not have to worry about whether you will manage to get back to the airport in time;
- You will save a LOT of time, which you would lose moving around by bus and train.
- The value is a little higher, but it is certainly a worthwhile investment! Especially if you like to do everything on your own time…
- People, just a little reminder: often, you get what you pay for, especially in a place you do not know, and without knowing how to speak the local language! Therefore, I suggest you think carefully about the options presented above, especially if you are traveling with children or the elderly! Do not take risks, invest a little more and travel safely, comfortably, without worries and without risk of ruining your long-awaited trip, O.K.?
Ask for information about our partner tours!
2) What to do during a connection in Rome? BY TRAIN OR BY BUS
In the second option, you will have to go by train or bus. See the detailed options below.
With the Leonardo Express Train
Leonardo Express Train, which takes you to Termini Station in 40 minutes; arriving at Termini Station, you should take the metro line B and get off at the second stop, Collosseo, and there start the Imperial Rome tour; ending the Imperial Rome tour, it is advisable to return to the airport to avoid possible problems. Click on the image below and buy your Leonardo Express Train Ticket. Understand here “What is the difference between trains in Italy?“. Buy your ticket online in advance and save a lot, read the Post “How to buy a train ticket in Italy?”.
If you still have time at your disposal, you will take the subway and get off at the Barberini stop, line A, to visit the Trevi Fountain; alternatively, you can take a taxi and go for a quick visit to the wonderful St. Peter’s Basilica. It is possible to take this tour in 5 or 6 hours, but I do not recommend it for families with young children or for people with limited mobility, because it will be really very fast and tiring. After the tour, just return to Termini Railway Station and take the train to return to the airport or return with a taxi.
With the Terravision Bus
Another economical option would be to go by bus, but I do not recommend this option due to the time it takes to get to the center and the time to find the bus; in short, better to simplify and optimize the times, so if your goal is to get by yourself, choose the train with no hesitation!! It is little more expensive than the bus, but it is pretty much faster! If you really have so many hours available and prefer to go with the bus, buy in advance. Just click on the image below and purchase your ticket.
- Ideal option for people who like to do things at their own pace;
- For people who are used to traveling, mainly by train.
- For young people, for those who are backpacking.
- And especially for people who want to save money and are in no hurry!
- For families with young children and for elderly people, it ends up being very tiring;
- Having to go to the sights alone, not knowing the city or speaking the local language;
- Time wasted on public buses from railway stations to places where sights are located or money you will spend extra on taxi once you arrive at your destination;
- And the time that is lost with all these trips, which could be used to make the most of the visited city.
3) What to do during a connection in Rome? WITH A GUIDE IN ROME
The first option I advise is to hire our assistance service in English, in other words, our assistant will pick you up at the airport and take you for a walk using the train and the subway. I recommend this option for people who want to get to know, quickly, the best of Rome, with a person who knows the city and the local culture, paying a fair price for an EXCELLENT service!
This option is what I call ‘VIP for a day!’ It is EXCELLENT, as it is safe, fun, special and makes you live all the Italian emotions with a person speaking, literally, your language, which makes it much easier to understand details of the places visited! At the airport, while taking you to Rome, the assistant will explain the various visiting possibilities and decide with you what to do! It will be a wonderful tour!!
- IDEAL option if you are alone, as a couple or with up to seven friends!
- Save on the time you would spend trying to understand how railway stations work to catch trains, or with transportation to reach tourist places to be visited.
- Less time spent traveling, less money spent with taxis, trains and transportation.
- Service with the charm that the Italian can offer and with the excellence that you seek!
- If you have children, great! In addition to having a discount, with the assistant speaking in English, they will, in addition to understanding, questioning and learning much more about the culture and local life! They will love it!
Watch this video and learn: What is the average cost of a day in Italy?
Subscribe to our channel and receive more videos with information and tips about Italy. Don’t forget to leave that Like;)
What to do during a connection in Rome? If you feel insecure or have no time, and need help to organize your trip, do not hesitate to look for me! I will love to help you make your dream trip to Italy. And how can I do that? Continue reading this post until the end and you will understand how can we make your life and journey easier.
Did my post help you? If yes, make sure to leave your comment below, but if you still have questions, just leave them as a comment below and I will reply, O.K.?