The 10 best wineries in Tuscany
When we talk about Italian wine, Tuscany comes to mind like a flash. Although all Italian regions produce wines, some of the most famous are of Tuscan origin and are highly appreciated worldwide. Today we are going to visit the 10 best wineries in Tuscany, this very special Italian region. Are you ready to our post The 10 best wineries in Tuscany? Here at Your Travel to Italy with Ana Patriciayou make the trip of your dreams!!! ALSO: see our “Accommodation in Italy – Tips for your holidays!”
Scenery of film, hills, cities full of charm and incredible wine properties: this way we can define Tuscany, one of the most beautiful regions in Italy. With dreamlike landscapes, Tuscany is famous worldwide not only for its capital, Florence, but also for its wineries and wines that are renowned and admired worldwide. With countless wineries to visit, we often do not know where to go and, thinking about it, we have put together in a short list, the 10 best wineries in the region of the Renaissance city. Shall we visit them?
- before visiting any winery, make your reservation online and in advance. Confirm the date and time and arrive at least 15 minutes in advance on the day of the visit. If you are driving: DON’T DRINK AND DRIVE! I suggest that you hire a private driver so that you can make your tour smoothly and worry-free.
- IMPORTANT: this post was written during the COVID-19 pandemic (March / 2021), therefore, before making the reservation and / or visiting the site, confirm dates and times, as they may change without notice due to location restrictions.
1) The 10 best wineries in Tuscany: ANTINORI
Located in Badia Passignano, the estate of the Antinori family is a real jewel in the middle of the hills. The family acquired the site in 1987 with the aim of producing Chianti Riserva, based on an exceptional terroir, old Chianti vineyards and using a state-of-the-art process. The village where the winery is located was built around a Benedictine abbey that displays a magnificent fresco of the Last Supper. It is necessary to schedule the visit through the website.
- Where it is: Cantina Antinori nel Chianti Classico Via Cassia per Siena, 133 Loc. Bargino – San Casciano Val di Pesa, Firenze.
2) The 10 best wineries in Tuscany: COLTIBUONO
This place is the result of a dream and today it is an abbey hotel that also has on its property a splendid winery on top of a beautiful hill in Chianti. Here time seems to have stopped in a moment of dreams. With cinematic views over the Arno valley, the place brings together the best of enogastronomy in the region and presents its visitors with true ‘poems’ that please the palate and smell. The complex is already in the hands of the sixth generation of the Stucchi Prinetti family, which acquired the property together with its vineyards in 1846. With an organic proposal and sustainable practices, it draws attention by the Chianti Classics line, which are on the list of the best in the Tuscany. Do you like peace, beauty and unique places? Then this destination is right for you! Reservation is required.
- Where it is: Loc. Badia a Coltibuono, 53013 Gaiole in Chianti (SI).
3) The 10 best wineries in Tuscany: CAPEZZANA
Near Florence, towards Prato, you will find the incredible Capezzana winery. The place is also famous for the production of olive oil since 804! The management of Contini Bonaccossi, however, started in 1920 and its members are young entrepreneurs, 25 years old, who gave a new face to the place. With 650 hectares of vegetation, it mixes vineyards and olive groves in an exquisite way! The place offers us a wonderful view of the Cathedral of Florence and the winery’s flagship is Vin Santo, a dessert wine made with grapes transformed into dried raisins by hand. The winery shop is also a separate fair and offers labels from the 1930s. The wines most sought after by collectors and lovers of good wine are those from the 1968 and 1988 harvests: exceptional!
- Where it is: Via Capezzana 100, 59015 Carmignano – Tuscany.
4) The 10 best wineries in Tuscany: FRESCOBALDI
Owned by the Frescobaldi family, the place is a beautiful castle, called Castello di Nipozzano, located in the heart of Chianti Rufina. Surrounded by a magical landscape, it offers views of vineyards, cypresses and olive groves. This is one of the oldest wineries in the family, and its history goes back to the beginning of the 13th century. The fame came in the 15th century, as they were responsible for supplying wines to Renaissance artists, such as, for example, Donatello. Today it offers impressive products of unquestionable excellence. Facing the Arno River, its strength is the production of Super Toscano and Chianti Rufina wines. The site has more than 626 hectares of land, in addition to the castle, and the hill on which it stands is more than 900 years old. Reservation is required.
- Where it is: Località Nipozzano, 50060 Pelago FI, Tuscany.
5) The 10 best wineries in Tuscany: CASTIGLION DEL BOSCO
In the heart of the magnificent Val d’Orcia, you will find this very precious valley! Castiglion del Bosco is an elegant, special and unique beauty winery! The property is owned by fashion guru, Massimo Ferragamo, and has over 141 acres planted with Sangiovese, which are the grapes used to produce the iconic Brunello di Montalcino. Ferragamo bought the entire winery in 2003 and masterfully raised it to a quality standard that impresses! The complex also has a SPA, golf course and a very prestigious hotel! Reservation required.
- Where it is: Località, 53024 Castiglion del Bosco, Tuscany.
6) The 10 best wineries in Tuscany: CASANOVA DI NERI
To say that this is one of the most beautiful wineries in Tuscany is redundancy. Founded in 1971, by Giacomo Neri, Casanova went through obscure moments before becoming one of the best wineries in Italy. The place has received several awards from Wine Spectator and critic James Suckling. The winery produces a divine Brunello, impeccable and of superior and indisputable quality. Working alongside his son Giovanni, Giacomo produces wines that stand out even with ‘weak’ harvests. Noteworthy is the blend of multiple grapes from Tenuta Nuova, attached to the property. The place is a splendor! Reservation required.
- Where is it: Podere Fiesole – SP 14 Via Traversa dei Monti, KM 31,800 – 53024 Montalcino (SI) – Italy.
7) The 10 best wineries in Tuscany: AVIGNONESI
This is a very special piece of the region! Located in the beautiful landscape of Montepulciano, Avignonesi was named after its founders. It was purchased by Belgian Virginie Saverys in 2009 and has grown exponentially. It underwent a real transformation in its production, becoming a leader in biodynamic and sustainable grape cultivation. It has 170 hectares of vineyards, an amazing team and offers red and white wines, including Super Tuscans. It definitely deserves a visit! Reservation is required.
- Where it is: Via Colonica 1, Valiano, 53045 Montepulciano (SI), Tuscany.
8) The 10 best wineries in Tuscany: CANTINA SALCHETO
Owned by Michele Manelli, the place is in the heart of Montepulciano. The wines are made with Sangiovese, are of excellent quality and very much appreciated. Salcheto is another winery that is also focused on sustainability and biodiversity, and has become a reference in the place. The name Salcheto, is due to the stream that is born at the foot of the village of Montepulciano. Sustainable, the winery generates its own energy and does not use chemical inputs that can harm the environment. The winery also offers a hotel for those who want to spend unique, magical and unforgettable moments. Reservation required.
- Where it is: Via di Villa Bianca, 15 – 53045 Montepulciano (SI) – Tuscany.
9) The 10 best wineries in Tuscany: MONTEVERRO
Just an hour south of Grosseto, near Monte Argentario, you will find this city gem: Capalbio, which houses a project, started in 2003, by Julia and Georg Weber. With an impressive barrel room, the place presents itself in an elegant and special way. The outdoor walk through the vineyards is charming and the visit is guided. For anyone looking for something outside the ‘traditional’, this destination is ideal, as its modern facilities offer us extremely unique moments! Reservation is required.
- Where it is: Strada Aurelia Capalbio 11 I-58011 Capalbio (GR), Tuscany.
10) The 10 best wineries in Tuscany: PRIMA PIETRA
Riparbella is one of the most beautiful towns in the region and Prima Pietra is part of the unique landscape found there. Another property of Massimo Ferragamo, this was the first one acquired by the designer in 2007. From here, you can observe the Tuscan coast in a very special way and the view is splendid! You are welcomed with a glass of wine and, at the entrance, you can feel your soul transport you to a place full of magic and beauty. Reservation required.
- Where it is: Loc. I Prati – 56046, Riparbella (PI), Tuscany.
Looking for a special suitcase to transport your wines?
The company responsible for these unique products is Lazenne and they deliver to any hotel/home in Europe. You can pay using your credit card, and they offer different currency choice to make your life much easier! Are you curious to learn more about it? Then click on the banner below without purchase obligation and get to know all the accessories available. You‘re gonna love the options!
Learn more about wines by reading our special posts:
- How to bring wines from Italy?
- Where to buy wines in Rome, Florence and Milan?
- Barolo, the king of wines and his enchanted city!
- When is the best time to visit Italian wineries?
- What are the types of Italian wines?
Watch this video and learn: What is the average cost of a day in Italy?
Subscribe to our channel and receive more videos with information and tips about Italy. Don’t forget to leave that Like;)
The 10 best wineries in Tuscany? Famous for cities like Florence, Monepulciano, Siena and many others, the Tuscany region is also famous for its wonderful wine route. Real jewels are presented in the middle of the path of those who pass through the winding, charming and beautiful Tuscan roads and, be sure, the hard part is choosing which one to visit, because after visiting the first one, you will want to stay forever!
And if you feel insecure or have no time, and need help to organize your trip, do not hesitate to look for me! I will love to help you make your dream trip to Italy. And how can I do that? Continue reading this post until the end and you will understand how can we make your life and journey easier.
Did my post help you? If yes, make sure to leave your comment below, but if you still have questions, just leave them as a comment below and I will reply, O.K.?
An Extra Help for your Trip
Car Rental in Italy - Want to travel in Italy by car but don't know where to rent one? We have the solution for you!
Suitcase to bring wine from Italy - How about a suitcase for you to take the best Italian wines to your house? Learn more about this facility
The best content from Your Travel to Italy!
Learn more about our tours in Italy right now!
- What to visit in Italy in 10 days?
- The ten must-see places in Tuscany?
- The best tips to save on your trip to Italy?
- What are the 10 most visited cities in southern Italy?
- Airports in Italy? How to get to your hotel? (Venice, Milan, Rome, Florence)
- What to do in 1/2/3/4 days in the main Italian cities?
- The best tips on food in Italy (wines, typical food, enogastronomy tours)
- How to get from Fiumicino Airport to Rome downtown?
- Your Travel to Italy: 10 tips for traveling through Italy!
Best regards from Italy