Motorbike itinerary in Tuscany
Let’s get to know Tuscany by motorbike. Getting to know Italy by motorcycle is an excellent option. All you have to do is get organized, set up an itinerary in a practical way and enjoy the adventure! Today I bring you one Motorbike itinerary through Tuscany!Helmets at the ready? So, let’s go! Stay with us and make the most of boot country! Here at the Travelling to Italy we make the trip of your dreams come true!! Also get to know our Section Accommodation in Italy – Tips for your Vacation!
Video about Tuscany by drone!
A little about Tuscany
Tuscany is one of the most beautiful and visited regions in Italy. With its magnificent geography, it offers us unique, impressive landscapes that enchant even the most demanding tourists. With wonderful cities as its capital, Florence offers several excellent itineraries for a motorcycle trip. Today I bring you the first post of our motorcycle itineraries series dedicated to lovers of two wheels! Learn all about Tuscany here!
- First of all, you must rent a motorcycle from a trusted operator. Some companies specialize in renting motorcycles only! Just a quick search on the internet and you will find several companies that specialize in the subject. Read also: travel by motorcycle in Italy?
Rent a motorcycle, scooter or bike anywhere in the world
Of course, motorcycle enthusiasts know as much as Valentino Rossi how to deal with the “beauty” he has in his hands, but it never hurts to give some information and do a brief review of everything before leaving. First thing first: wear appropriate clothing and equipment, especially if you’re traveling during the coldest period of the year. It’s important to remember that IDP (International Driving Permit) is mandatory, and you need to have specified your authorization to ride motorcycles! Check out other motorcycle itineraries in Italy here: Sicily, Calabria, Umbria and Sardinia.
Another important point:
When you sign the rental agreement, check what the terms of the motorcycle insurance are. Make sure the bike is insured against theft, robbery, accidents, fire, etc. Also, find out about motorcycle parking at the hotel where you are staying; some hotels have parking lots, others do not. If your hotel is in aZTL (Limited Traffic Zone), confirm that the hotel has informed you of the license plate number of the motorcycle you rented, as it is forbidden to also traffic motorcycles in certain places. Read also: Let’s get to know Tuscan food and wine?
1) Motorbike itinerary through Tuscany: FLORENCE & CHANTI
Let’s go! We start our tour, of course, by leaving from Florence. Florence is an impressive city and, when we talk about Tuscany, it is impossible not to mention the birthplace of the Renaissance and capital of the region. One of the most important areas of the region, of course, is the famous region of Chianti, where you can discover the iconic beauty of the Val d’Orcia. This whole area is practically entirely dominated by wineries and, I confess, it is difficult to choose which one is the best. The roads from there will take you to splendid cities, of which you need not have any doubts. See the post 1 day itinerary in Florence.
The best option to make the journey is by using the SR222 road, known as the Wine Road. This road takes us from Florence to the heart of Chianti and then to Siena. On the way, you pass places like Greve in Chianti and Panzano. It is good to know that this is a winding road, stunningly beautiful and offers us cinematographic panoramas. The best part about this itinerary is that the towns it passes through are small, so it is possible to visit several small towns in a short time.
- Make a stop at the Wine Museum, in Greve in Chianti. The place is magnificent and tells us the history of this iconic drink in a unique way! It’s worth it!
Map 01 with the Motorcycle Itinerary through Tuscany
2) Motorcycle itinerary through Tuscany: VAL D ́ORCIA
Leaving Siena and heading south, you reach Val d’Orcia. This is one of the most classic and impressive itineraries in all of Tuscany. Here you can make a strategic stop in Monteriggioni, which is one of the most beautiful cities in the area in question. From Monteriggioni, you can follow Via Cassia Nord and, with just over 60 km covered, you arrive in Montalcino, a city that needs no further introduction: it is a fantastic city that, in a short time, can be visited quietly. The journey through the Val d’Orcia continues through the green and very suggestive hills; at the last stop of the route, make a stop in Pienza: magnificent!
- You can do this itinerary in one day, although it will be a bit rushed. If you want to do it calmly, divide the suggested itinerary into two days, to visit everything with time and care.
Map 02 with the Motorcycle Itinerary through Tuscany
3) Motorcycle itinerary through Tuscany: PITIGLIANO
And finally, we started to go down more! Leaving this region, the roads are calmer, and before heading to the sea, we can make a strategic stop in Pitigliano, a beautiful village located in the middle of a forest. Follow the path and, just after a few kilometers, you will find the splendid Maremma Natural Park, which is also worth a visit, even if brief. Surrounded by nature, it is a place of great environmental importance and offers us breathtaking panoramas.
- If you like nature and want more “intimate” contact with it, I suggest you include in your route three excellent places for lovers of “fresh air”: Casentinesi Forests National Park, Mount Falterona and Campigna. This itinerary is not that long, so it is possible to park the motorcycle and follow the tour on foot! Here is one of the largest forests in all of Europe, with 650 km of trekking routes and, of course, fully immersed in a very abundant flora and fauna. Be sure to go to the waterfalls of Acquacheta and Badia Prataglia – where you can stop at the characteristic castles of the region for a well-deserved rest.
Map 03 with the Motorcycle Itinerary through Tuscany
The rooms and suites are elegantly decorated, with views of the lake or the well-kept gardens. The atmosphere here is one of serenity and romanticism. Be sure to stroll through the lush gardens, sunbathe by the pool, or relax on the private beach. Hotel Bella Riva can also organize boat trips around the lake and excursions to nearby towns.
Another Itinerary Suggestion
Another itinerary suggestion is for the magnificent Maremma Tuscany, which comprises the entire area of the provinces of Pisa, Livorno, Grosseto and Viterbo. The great thing about Tuscany is that it offers us the best of both worlds in a wonderful way! Mountain and beach merge without us noticing, and the scenery, which changes as we advance, offers us a unique experience. Our next itinerary takes us to the Maremma Tuscany, which borders the region of Liguria guiding us to the Tyrrhenian Sea. Here we are in the southwest of Tuscany, which is a very popular area of the region, especially in summer, and its landscapes are different from the mountainous part we passed through earlier.
The trip here makes you cross the woods and make the most of all the curves that the roads, too, offer in an elegant and adventurous way. In the Maremma coast area, you will find cities such as Bolgheri, Grosseto, Tarquinia and Civitavecchia – already on the border with the Lazio region. The best road to do this itinerary is, without a doubt, the SS223 – departing from Siena.
Good to know…
- This part of Tuscany also offers excellent options of cities for us to visit, so I suggest you carefully study which ones you want to include in your itinerary to avoid wasting time and get the most out of all of them. As I mentioned earlier, among the most famous cities here are Pisa, Grosseto and Bolgheri.
- Here you can ride a few kilometers longer and visit the famous Viale dei Cipressi di Bolgheri, which is a straight road flanked by two rows of centuries-old cypress trees that connect Bolgheri to the Oratory of San Guido, a place of stunning beauty! WARNING: the curves in this region are more pronounced, so: take it easy!
Map 04 with the Motorcycle Itinerary through Tuscany
A little more about Tuscany…
It is worth remembering that Tuscany presents us with several roads that take us to the most beautiful places in the region. The above itineraries are only suggestions. If you prefer to do the most classic Tuscany itinerary, including cities such as Florence, Lucca, Volterra, Pisa, San Gimignano, among many others, just practically organize your itinerary, so that you avoid taking unnecessary turns and wasting precious time! Always remember that, If you need expert advice on travel planning, talk to me! We will be happy to help you design your dream trip! Also Read: Best Travel Consultancy for Italy?
Watch this video and learn: What is the average cost of a day in Italy?
Subscribe to our channel and receive more videos with information and tips about Italy. Don’t forget to give this video a thumbs-up! 😉
Tuscany Motorbike Itinerary – Tuscany offers us truly unique places! In addition to all its natural beauty, the region is full of history, culture, and very special places!
Are you afraid to travel?
If you feel insecure or don’t have time, and need help organizing your trip, Don’t hesitate to reach out to me! I will love to help you make your dream trip to Italy come true. And how can I do that? Keep reading this post until the end and you will understand how we make your life and your trip easier:)
Did my post help you? If so, be sure to post your comment below, but if you still have doubts, just leave your comment below and I’ll get back to you!