Itinerary in Italy during the winter
The Italian Peninsula is stunningly beautiful during the hottest months of the year, but in winter it also has its charm! Several cities are emptier, calmer, and winter can be a great option for those who prefer to stay away from the huge tourist mass that stirs Italy during the summer, however, one of the most common doubts: where should I go? With that in mind, we created a brief itinerary in Italy during the winter! Here at Your Travel to Italy with Ana Patricia you make the trip of your dreams!!! ALSO: see our “Accommodation in Italy – Tips for your holidays!”
Incredible as it may seem, there are those who prefer to travel to Italy during the winter, especially those who are not big fans of the intense heat that the country presents during the summer. The good side of traveling during the winter is the tourist movement: although there is always a movement of tourists – especially in classic cities like Rome, Florence and Milan – other locations are quieter.
It is worth remembering, however, that so many other locations are crowded, which is the case of the Dolomites. This is because the cities in that region are excellent for those looking for the so-called “turismo bianco”, that is, tourism in the snow, but we will see some options later. Learn everything you need about the Weather in Italy here!
1) Itinerary in Italy during the winter: IN ROME!
Needs no introduction, right? If you arrive at Fiumicino, I suggest that you start your trip by getting to know the Italian capital. Remember that we are talking about a big city, so even if there are not so many tourists wandering around, the subway continues with its normal flow due to the places that use it to go to and from work, for example. Want to go to Rome during the winter? Then read this post: What to do in Rome in winter?
2) Itinerary in Italy during the winter: IN FLORENCE!
The birthplace of the Renaissance is a splendor! If you’re lucky and catch Florence under the snow, you’ll see a real spectacle. Full of museums, its great advantage is that all of its main tourist attractions are concentrated in the historic center and, therefore, you won’t need to travel as much. Are we going to visit Florence in winter? Read this post: What to do in Florence in winter?
3) Itinerary in Italy during the winter: IN MILAN!
I’d say it’s perfect in winter! That’s because Milan offers several attractions in closed spaces such as the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele, the Pinacoteca di Brera, and, of course, its splendid Duomo. Milan offers great options for winter attractions and, to find out what to do in Milan in winter, read this post: What to do in Milan in winter?
4) Itinerary in Italy during the winter: IN VENICE!
We arrived in a city that divides opinions: to go or not to go to Venice during the winter? My personal opinion: go to Venice whenever you can! Venice is beautiful and in winter it is practically empty, without the huge flow of tourists that invades the city in the hottest months of the year; however, be aware that the famous Venice Carnival takes place at the height of Italian winter, usually in February, i.e. the city may be packed with people, but it lasts a week at most, then calms down again for a while. little. Do you think there is nothing to see there in winter? Big mistake! Take a look at this post: What to do in Venice in winter?
5) Itinerary in Italy during the winter: IN THE DOLOMITES!
Where are the snow lovers? If you LOVE winter sports, going to the Dolomites is a must! The mountain region is full of tourists looking for fun, snow and cold, very cold! If you want to know everything about the Dolomites, I invite you to read our special post: Discover the Dolomites!
6) Itinerary in Italy during the winter: IN SICILY!
I know: you must have thought “Sicily in winter? Really?” Yes! Perfect for those who don’t want to know the beautiful beaches and prefer to focus on museums, churches, and snow sports. Do you want to live a unique experience? How about skiing on Etna? Come learn more about it by clicking here!
7) Itinerary in Italy during winter: TUSCANY OR PIEDMONT!
Want something better than warming up with a little wine? Take the wine route in Tuscany or Piedmont! And how about visiting wineries and taking a tour of the villages that surround them?
Doing any wine route during the Italian winter is more than amazing, it’s perfection. That’s because the movement drops considerably, the hotels are very cozy with their fireplaces full of firewood, and everything takes on a fairytale air. Not to mention that the look of the roads is a charm!
- If you want to know the wine route in Tuscany, click here!
- Now, if you prefer to go to Piedmont: then, click here!
8) Itinerary in Italy during the winter: IN THE SPA!
Visit spas in various Italian locations. For those who like different walks, want to relax and spend days of peace and tranquility: visit the Italian hot springs. Italy has countless spas and it’s difficult to choose which one is the most perfect for you and your family, but if you plan to spend a short time there, I suggest you choose a spa that offers a good hotel structure. You can visit some Italian spas by clicking here!
Useful advice for those traveling during the winter:
- In addition to a good coat, wear a kind of second skin under your clothes! It changes EVERYTHING, believe me!
- Opt for waterproof shoes, especially if going to snowy locations. Also remember to wear warm socks!
- Scarf, gloves, and hats are essential! This is because in several places it is very cold, so: be prepared!
- Take off your coat inside the seats! The heater is usually turned on at maximum in almost all establishments and, therefore, if you keep your coat on, you can feel the temperature difference in your health when you leave there, as you can catch a cold. By the way: take a cold medicine in your luggage! The fluctuation in temperature can cause you a slight unwanted cold!
- Drink water! I know that in winter we don’t usually drink water, but staying hydrated during the winter is essential to keep your health up to date!
Want to know how to pack your suitcase for a winter trip to Italy?
Then read our special post Italian seasons: how to pack? Need more tips for traveling in Italy in the coldest period of the year? Come read this post: What to do in Italy in the winter?
Take advantage of the cold to taste typical foods! To read our special posts about typical Italian foods, click here!
Watch this video and learn:
Subscribe to our channel and receive more videos with information and tips about Italy. Don’t forget to leave that Like;)
TRAVEL TO ROME!
“Your Travel to Rome” is the quintessential e-book for your travel to one of the finest tourist destinations on the planet!
Itinerary in Italy during the winter – Traveling through Italy in the winter can be a great option for those who prefer less crowded cities, are not fans of heat and like closed places.
And if you feel insecure or have no time, and need help to organize your trip, do not hesitate to look for me! I will love to help you make your dream trip to Italy. And how can I do that? Continue reading this post until the end and you will understand how can we make your life and journey easier.
Did my post help you? If yes, make sure to leave your comment below, but if you still have questions, just leave them as a comment below and I will reply, O.K.?
An Extra Help for your Trip
Car Rental in Italy - Want to travel in Italy by car but don't know where to rent one? We have the solution for you!
Suitcase to bring wine from Italy - How about a suitcase for you to take the best Italian wines to your house? Learn more about this facility
The best content from Your Travel to Italy!
Learn more about our tours in Italy right now!
- What to visit in Italy in 10 days?
- The ten must-see places in Tuscany?
- The best tips to save on your trip to Italy?
- What are the 10 most visited cities in southern Italy?
- Airports in Italy? How to get to your hotel? (Venice, Milan, Rome, Florence)
- What to do in 1/2/3/4 days in the main Italian cities?
- The best tips on food in Italy (wines, typical food, enogastronomy tours)
- How to get from Fiumicino Airport to Rome downtown?
- Your Travel to Italy: 10 tips for traveling through Italy!
Best regards from Italy