How to visit the Amalfi Coast using public transport?
The Amalfi Coast (Costiera Amalfitana – Italian) is full of charms! It comprises (officially) five cities: Positano, Praiano, Amalfi, Ravelo, Minori and Maiori. The coast is 60 km long in total and the most famous cities are, of course, Amalfi, Positano and Ravelo, but the other members of this region leave nothing to be desired when it comes to beauty and the blue sea! Would you like to know how to visit the Amalfi Coast using public transport? So stay with us and travel peacefully solving your doubts here! Here at Your Travel to Italy with Ana Patricia you make the trip of your dreams!!! ALSO: see our “Accommodation in Italy – Tips for your holidays!”
- Some people also include Sorrento, Sant’Agata, Nerano, Conca dei Marini, Atrani, Ravello, Cetara, Marmorata and Erchie – but these cities are not ‘officials’, so we are going to keep the tour very simple, only with the main cities.
Highway 163, the most important and busiest, is winding, narrow and dangerous. You need to be VERY, but VERY prudent to drive there and it ends up being a challenge! In addition, it can get crowded during peak hours, which take place from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Read: How to go to the Amalfi Coast from Rome?
Traveling by Car
In summer the road is even busier, so if you are driving, drive extremely carefully and don’t be in a hurry. Parking spaces in cities cost around 5 euros, but there is not always a vacancy which can make you lose a little time (and patience!); the solution is to try to go to another nearby town or park far away from the center. Read our Driving in Italy Section! If you prefer to have a more comfortable trip you can hire a private transfer. Click here and know more about it.
Don’t know where to rent the car?
We have a partner that can help you: Rent Cars! Have you ever thought about renting a car in Italy, without leaving your home? Click on the banner below to learn more! Search, compare and choose!
- If you are driving in Italy, you need the International Driving Permit (if you’re not European Citizen).
Another option is to use public transport!
It is safe, cheap and reaches all major cities! But things are not always a bed of roses so it is possible that the buses are delayed due to traffic and that you take them FULL! Anyway, let’s see how to use it? See also our Section on Transport in Italy!
Let’s go to watch this video about the Amalfi Coast
1) How to visit the Amalfi Coast using public transport? FROM NAPLES TO SORRENTO
Well, it is possible to reach Sorrento by train from Naples (to reach Naples, you can arrive by plane, train or car) using the Circumvesuviana. Cincuversuviana is the Railway Transport System in the metropolitan area of Naples and its surroundings. Today it is also known as EAV, it leaves from the Napoli Garibaldi Station. The ticket costs around EUR 2.60 and the travel time will depend on the chosen destination. To check the arrivals and departure times, click HERE!
2) How to visit the Amalfi Coast using public transport? FROM SORRENTO TO THE COAST
I will teach you two options coming from Sorrento to the Amalfi Coast.
- There are two companies that operate the bus segments: SITABUS and UNICO CAMPANIA.
- There are several exits, but as we said earlier, delays can happen because of traffic and it is super normal for this to happen.
- To check the schedules visit the website!
The numbers of the buses that operate there are as follows:
- From Sorrento to Positano: at Sorrento central station, buses 507036, 507037 or 507062 (the fastest) to Positano.
- From Positano to Praiano: take the bus number 507036 or 507037 in the La Sponda area which takes you to Praiano in 40 minutes.
- From Praiano to Amalfi: in Via Roma, the bus runs from Positano to Praiano, 507036 or 507037.
- From Amalfi to Ravelo: take the bus number 511009 at Piazza Flavio Gioia.
- From Ravelo to Minori: the bus leaves Marmorata and his number is 512001 or 512002.
- From Minori to Maiori: use the same bus, 512001 or 512002. It is very close, it takes about 15 minutes.
Another option is to use the ferry that goes from Sorrento to other cities in half an hour and costs, more or less, 13 Euros. If you want, you can find out more about hourly routes, departure and destinations by clicking HERE!
- Do not visit Amalfi Coast in a hurry! Although the cities are not so big, they offer spectacular beauty, beaches, views and monuments!
- Don’t worry about following a predetermined itinerary! The Amalfi Coast is even more beautiful (and surprising!) when we walk through it in a relaxed way!
3) How to visit the Amalfi Coast using public transport? GROUP TOURS
From Naples and Sorrento there is also the option of group tours to the Amalfi Coast! It is an excellent option if you want to save money and travel in comfort and tranquility. Here are some Examples of Group Tours for the Amalfi Coast:
For those who want something comfortable, you can opt for Private Tours! They are more affordable than you think and you don’t have to worry about where to park or the transportation schedule. If you are in a larger group it is even the best option to get to know the beautiful Amalfi Coast.
Watch this video and learn: What is the average cost of a day in Italy?
Subscribe to our channel and receive more videos with information and tips about Italy. Don’t forget to leave that Like;)
How to visit the Amalfi Coast using public transport? Knowing the Amalfi Coast requires time, dedication and affection! It is one of the most beautiful regions in Italy and is packed with tourists all year round. The beaches, mountains, people and everything in between, make us instantly fall in love with every inch of this amazing coast. Words end up being unnecessary to describe this place that seems to have been drawn by hand.
And if you feel insecure, have no time, and need help to organize your trip, don’t hesitate to contact me! I will love to help you make your dream trip to Italy come true. And how can I do that? Keep reading this post until the end and you will understand how we make your life and your trip much easier
Did my post help you? If so, be sure to post your comment below, but if you still have questions just send me a message I will answer you as soon as possible!