How to use the vaporetto in Venice?
Venice, the name enchants when we remember that it is the city of lovers, in addition to being the famous city on the water! Famous for the Basilica di San Marco (St Mark’s Basilica), Rialto Bridge and for its incredible carnival masks, Venice offers us many transport options. Today we are going to talk about one of the most economical, quick and easy to use: the vaporetto. And how to use the vaporetto in Venice? Here at Your Travel to Italy with Ana Patricia you make the trip of your dreams!!! ALSO: see our “Accommodation in Italy – Tips for your holidays!”
How to use the vaporetto in Venice? The vaporetto is a characteristic vessel of Venice and is used as a means of public transport on the city’s canals. Although, currently, vaporetti (plural in Italian) use a diesel engine the name of the old designation, of using a steam engine, remains. See our section on Transport in Italy!
1) How to use the vaporetto in Venice? KNOW THE MAIN LINES
The vaporetti travel six main lines: 01, 02, 03, 07, 10 and 18:
- Line 01: The most used by tourists! It goes, slowly, through the Grand Canal from the Piazzale Roma (Rome Square) bus station to the Lido island; there are stops at some sights such as St. Mark’s Square and the Rialto Bridge.
- Line 02: It shows the main sights such as St Mark’s Square and the Rialto Bridge along the Grand Canal. I recommend a tour using line 2 to get an overview of the wonders of Venice.
- Line 03: Links Piazzale Roma (Rome Square) with Murano Island.
- Line 07: Connects St Mark’s Square with Murano Island.
- Line 10: It is the fastest of all to get from St Mark’s Square to the Lido island.
- Line 18: Connects the islands of Lido and Murano.
- The ticket price is 7.50 Euros and it lasts approximately 75 minutes. If you just want to go to the next stop or cross the Grand Canal using line 1, you can buy the ticket for 4 euros, but I suggest you leave the vaporetto aside and use a traghetto.
- To find out which vaporetto to take from Santa Lucia / Piazzale Roma Station and which stop to get off, just always check the website of your hotel, you will usually find this information in the category: How to get to the hotel.
2) How to use the vaporetto in Venice? BUYING THE TICKET
Where to buy the Vaporetto ticket? Directly at the vaporetto stop, in “tabaccaria” edicola (newsstand) and some bars.
Tourist Travel Card
There is also the option of the Tourist Travel Card, which is for both vaporetti and land buses. It is an excellent option for those who want to stay outside the central area of Venice, such as Lido or Mestre; this option has some line restrictions such as 16, 19, 21, Casino and Alilaguna. In general, the vaporetti are open from 4:30 am to midnight and half on most lines, but again, check out before leaving to avoid surprises. Read also How much does a gondola ride cost in Venice?
Important to Know
- Remember to VALIDATE THE TICKET before boarding, as there is no collector on board and, if there is an inspection by the local police, you can receive a fine fine for not validating the ticket, O.K ?!
- Remember that vaporetti are like subways to the city of Venice, so you will not always find them empty, especially during peak hours. Some lines operate only during the summer, so before traveling, check opening hours on the vaporetti operator’s website. Vaporetti timetable, click here!
Watch this video and learn: What are the most used words when traveling in Italy?
Subscribe to our channel and receive more videos with information and tips about Italy. Don’t forget to leave that Like;)
How to use the vaporetto in Venice? There are so many Venetian means of transport and with various price ranges, going everywhere, but if you want to save money and get around with ease, the best option is vaporetti: comfortable – even with so many people on board – fast and cheap .
If you feel insecure or have no time, and need help to organize your trip, do not hesitate to look for me! I will love to help you make your dream trip to Italy. And how can I do that? Continue reading this post until the end and you will understand how can we make your life and journey easier.
Did my post help you? If yes, make sure to leave your comment below, but if you still have questions, just leave them as a comment below and I will reply, O.K.?