How to choose a good seat on Italian trains?
Well, one of the most recurring questions is: is it worth traveling by train? The answer is: it depends! The train is ideal for those who want to visit many cities in a shorter period, but if you want to visit ‘vera Italia’, smaller cities, villages and some more isolated places, choose another means of transport. After all, how to choose a good seat on Italian trains? Here we will help you choose and we will clear all the doubts out of your head! Here at Your Travel to Italy with Ana Patricia you make the trip of your dreams !!! ALSO: see our “Accommodation in Italy – Tips for your holidays!”
1) How to choose a good seat on Italian trains? TAKE LITTLE LUGGAGE
Is the train great? Yes! However, the rush hour can be a problem, especially in large cities, If you think about traveling by train, one of the most precious tips I can give you is: take little luggage! And light luggage, because the luggage space on some trains is minimal, and because if you travel with heavy luggage and many of them, you will arrive EXAUSED at the destination and will not have the strength to go out for a ride hahaha… Also read our post Is there a baggage limit on Italian trains?
2) How to choose a good seat on Italian trains? UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TRAINS
Many people find that the cheapest trains are not comfortable. They are! Of course, you can’t compare them to first class or business class, but it’s not uncomfortable. We already talked about the types of Italian trains in the Post “What is the difference between trains in Italy?“, It is worth reading to understand better.
3) How to choose a good seat on Italian trains? UNDERSTAND ABOUT SEATS AND WAGONS
The most requested seats are those that are in the middle of the train, as well as the wagons: they are also those that are in the middle of the train.
The best seats
- I always give the tip to avoid the seats near the doors, because if the train has one or more stops in the middle of the way, the entry and exit of passengers can be annoying, not to mention the noise from outside. If at the time of purchase you do not specify the desired seat, the site will automatically choose the place where you will sit, but it is obvious that they will put you in the worst possible places, so: choose your seat!
- If you go to the bathroom a lot, choose the seat in the aisle: it is more comfortable for you and whoever is next to you. In addition, avoid changing seats, as someone can get on that seat at a next stop, so always stay in your chosen seat, O.K.?
- If you don’t care about other people’s movement, choose a seat near the restaurant car, it’s easier if you’re hungry ‘out of nowhere’, but get ready for the most varied smells ranging from delicious to nauseating. Another important point to consider, O.K.?
- If you are traveling first class, while waiting for the train, some stations offer special lounges for these passengers: enjoy! There are several meals and drinks and the service is always very cordial.
The best wagons
- The best wagons are the ones in the middle. They are the quietest. Avoid choosing wagons near restaurants, restrooms or heavy traffic of people: it is super noisy. Usually, they are the first and the last wagon. Keep that tip in mind, O.K.? 😉 Of course, if the distance is not great between cities, you don’t need all this ‘maneuver’, but if the trip is at night, or longer, avoid it!
4) How to choose a good seat on Italian trains? SAFETY AND CONVENIENCE
The trains are safe, but I do not advise you to wander around the train. Suddenly the train can slow down roughly for some reason, and you can get hurt. Some seats have sockets nearby, mainly in business class, as some people work from the computer and keep it connected to the power, but not all trains offer this facility, nor do all classes, so take a Power Bank.
What to do to be distracted?
Reading, listening to music, sleeping. There are some stretches where the landscapes, beautiful, distract us efficiently, but if you travel at night, it won’t be like that.
Going back to talking about security…
- According to some railway safety experts, the most ‘dangerous’ wagons are the ones at the front and the last ones; this is because, in the event of an accident, those in the front and those in the back are among the first to derail, while those in the middle remain more stable, although they also suffer the impact.
- For you who have already activated the ‘paranoia’ key, calm down! The train is one of the safest modes of transport in the world and the least likely to have accidents. That said, HOWEVER, when choosing the seat, check all the emergency exit options. Being safe does not mean being ‘immune to accidents’ and it’s always good to be prepared!
Important to Know
- Do not throw your ticket away, it may be that someone passes by requesting to check the tickets, so always keep them in an easily accessible place until the end of the trip.
- I reinforce, watch your luggage! Do not take too much, especially if you are going to take a round trip to a city close to the one where you are.
- Traveling by train is, definetely, a unique experience! Get organized, research a lot according to your itinerary – to see if it’s worth it – and if you choose the train, always arrive in advance at the station, because if there is something punctual in Italy, it’s the railway service! (There are exceptions, of course, but in general, the trains are very punctual!).
Watch this video and learn: How Do Tolls Work In Italy?
How to choose a good seat on Italian trains? If you get organized well in advance, it is possible to make an incredible and unforgettable train journey! It is fast, efficient and the Italian railway network is fantastic, indeed, it covers almost the entire Italian territory! As I said before, search a LOT, really, including prices, distances, travel times.
Put in your backpack a snack, cell phone, a bottle of water, your goodwill and your ‘Dora-The-Explorer’ side, and have a nice trip! Don’t forget to tell me what your experience was like when you return; remember that your trip can inspire and help a lot of people who read our blog! Anyway, have a nice trip!
Are you insecure?
And if you feel insecure or have no time, and need help to organize your trip, do not hesitate to look for me! I will love to help you make your dream trip to Italy. And how can I do that? Continue reading this post until the end and you will understand how can we make your life and journey easier.
Did my post help you? If yes, make sure to leave your comment below, but if you still have questions, just leave them as a comment below and I will reply, O.K.?