How to buy a prepaid SIM card in Italy?
We know that national phone companies give us the option of international roaming during travels out of the country, but if your plan doesn’t offer that option – or if you think you’re going to overspend, we have a suggestion that can work wonderfully from a financial point of view: get a prepaid SIM card in Italy!
But how to buy a prepaid SIM card in Italy? Stay with us and don’t miss our tips and information! Here at Your Travel to Italy with Ana Patriciayou make the trip of your dreams!!! ALSO: see our “Accommodation in Italy – Tips for your holidays!”
If you search online, you will find several sites that sell SIM cards that work in Europe for fixed prices. The costs are around 40 to 60 dollars. This type of SIM card is perfect if you are going to travel in some other European country and if your trip is going to last more than a month. If you do not have the confidence to buy online, and are only going to Italy, or if your current plan does not cover Europe, it is best to buy a SIM card as soon as you arrive in Italy.
- If you are going to stay in Italy for a maximum of 7 days, buy the SIM card only if it is really REALLY necessary! Below we will give you some tips on how to get great connection without having to buy or change your SIM card.
- Italy has several operators and prices do not vary much! The best are TIM, Vodafone and Wind.
- When shopping at the store, ask for a Sim Ricaricabile Senza Vincol.
1) How to buy a prepaid SIM card in Italy? SHOPPING IN ITALIAN
- Non parlo italiano, può aiutarmi? (I don’t speak Italian, can you help me?)
- Grazie, sei gentilissimo. (Thank you, you are very kind!)
- Vorrei prendere una sim ricaricabile senza vincoli, per favore! (I would like to buy a prepaid SIM card, please!)
- Ecco il mio passport! (Here’s my passport!)
- Quanto costa? (How much is it?)
- Posso chiamare in ______? (Can I call to *country name*?)
- Posso usare in altri paese di Europa senza pagare costi aggiuntivi? (Can I use it in other European countries without paying extra costs?)
- Viaggerò anche in Francia (Svizzera, Portogallo, Spagna) perciò ho bisogno di un chip che posso usare anche in questi paesi. (I will also travel in France – Switzerland, Portugal, Spain – so I need a SIM card to use in that country too.)
- Grazie mille. (Thank you)
2) How to buy a prepaid SIM card in Italy? TRAVEL CONNECTED BY YES
Leave your country already connected with YES, a company that has been in the market for over 30 years and has a catalog with several options for plans. To learn more about the plans they offer click on the link below and check it their options! Take the opportunity to leave home with less pending to worry, after all communication is everything, especially when we are away from home!
TIM has a special catalog for travelers and there are several options for plans. To learn more about the plans, click here! The operator has several stores and the prices are very attractive, around 25 euros with mobile internet and calls.
4) How to buy a prepaid SIM card in Italy? VODAFONE
Another great operator is Vodafone! It also features an option without bonds (click here to see the plans!) and great options for internet. In addition, it offers some social media and communication apps free of charge. The SIM card, activation and other fees cost about 20 euros. It also has stores all over Italy.
5) How to buy a prepaid SIM card in Italy? WIND
Wind also offers special plans for foreigners and without bonds, in addition to having several stores in Italy. The operator has plans with values between 15 and 25 euros and works well in Italian territory. To learn more about the options, click here!
See examples of Wind internet promotions. Remembering that in addition to the value of the promotion, you will pay a fee for the purchase of the SIM card of 10 euros plus an activation fee that costs an average of 5 euros.
- To buy the SIM card, you must show your passport.
- If you don’t want to use your cell phone in Italy or don’t want to buy a SIM card due to a short seven-day trip, take advantage of the Wi-Fi points available in hotels, bars and restaurants. In fact, if it is a short trip, it ends up not worth changing the SIM card.
- Check the value of international roaming with your operator in your country, especially if your plan is postpaid, as many of them are able to make special plans for those who are going to travel.
- Take the camera! Don’t forget that some smartphones (the one with the apple, for example… do you know which one I’m talking about, don’t you? Hahaha) run out of charge REALLY fast: bear in mind you will take photos, make videos, use social networking and communication apps and there is no battery and no power bank to handle it all!
- Use your cell phone to make calls when you really need them! Do not forget that you are on vacation, strolling, you do not want to be “stuck” to your phone! So evaluate well if it is worth buying an Italian SIM card.
- Take advantage of Wi-Fi to make calls through messaging apps too: calls are of great quality and you pay nothing, as you will be on Wi-Fi.
- The purchase of the Italian SIM card with a good data plan is indicated mainly for those who will use location apps like Waze, Google Maps and other types of GPS on the cell phone, still, it is worth remembering that the internet may fail in some points.
6) How to buy a prepaid SIM card in Italy? MAIN STORES – ROME
Here are the main tourist shops arriving in Rome.
- Fiumicino Airport: T3 Arrivi on arrival;
- Roma Termini Central Station: Galleria Commerciale on the first floor and on the underground level.
- Fiumicino Airport: T3 Arrivi on arrival – Exactta Group – Vodafone
- Roma Termini Central Station: Galleria Commerciale underground.
- There is no store in Fiumicino;
- Roma Termini Central Station: Galleria Centrale on the ground and underground levels.
7) How to buy a prepaid SIM card in Italy? MAIN STORES – MILAN
Below are the main tourist shops arriving in Milan.
- There is no shop at Malpensa airport.
- Milano Centrale train station.
Watch this video and learn: Five things to never do in Italy
Subscribe to our channel and receive more videos with information and tips about Italy. Don’t forget to leave that Like;)
How to buy a prepaid SIM card in Italy? It’s not that hard to buy a SIM card in Italy, is it? With all our tips and information you can easily purchase your chip and enjoy your trip talking with friends, posting photos of the trip and staying connected with the world. But remember to enjoy your trip, don’t to be just using the cell phone all the time O.K.? After all you are in Italy.
And if you feel insecure, have no time, and need help to organize your trip, don’t hesitate to contact me! I will love to help you make your dream trip to Italy come true. And how can I do that? Keep reading this post until the end and you will understand how we make your life and your trip much easier.
Did my post help you? If so, be sure to post your comment below, but if you still have questions just send me a message I will answer you as soon as possible!