How to behave in Italy?
Today we are going to talk about it: Etiquette in Italy !! Here my readers will find the answers on how to behave in Italy;) It is very important before traveling to get to know the local culture, behavior and etiquette of that country you are going to visit. So, are you curious about how to behave in Italy? Here at Your Travel to Italy with Ana Patricia you make the trip of your dreams!!! ALSO: see our “Accommodation in Italy – Tips for your holidays!”
Let’s understand something, there are cultural differences and we need to respect them, so we will enjoy each city better, without worrying about experiencing any embarrassment or getting upset by something that is characteristic of that place.
1)How to behave in Italy? What is the difference in behavior between Northern and Southern Italy?
The first point to be commented on is that the way you behave depends a lot on which part you are going to visit in Italy. I have lived in Italy for so many years and one of the biggest differences is the “warmth” from someone who lives in northern Italy and someone who lives in southern Italy.
In general (obviously, there are always exceptions), in northern Italy people are more serious and conservative, it will be more complicated to make friends. I’m not saying they’re not friendly, but a welcoming way will be more difficult to find. In southern Italy, on the other hand, people are more friendly. You can feel at home much easier if you go to the home of a Calabrian, Sicilian (or other southern region) family, it will always be a party. That’s why I lived only 2 years in Rome and I have been living in Calabria for 16 years (I feel at home here). Read also What are the cultural differences in Italy?
- Italians usually communicate using gestures and with facial expressions. So don´t worry if you are talking to someone who often waves their hands, speaks loud and passionately. Read.: Why do Italians gesticulate?
2) How to behave in Italy? How to dress in Italy?
A very important thing, Italians pay a lot attention to the way they dress, so it is better to avoid wearing very flashy clothes, such as blouses with necklines, mini skirts or mini shorts. A woman alone, dressed in a very flashy fashion, can cause ‘problems’; As you know, Italians have a worldwide reputation for loving good flirting, so if you want to avoid these kinds of situations, dress more conservatively.
- The matter of dress is also valid for visiting some places: in most churches, entry with short clothes or exaggerated necklines is prohibited. Many years ago, when I went to visit St. Peter’s Basilica, I faced a huge line and when I was at the door to enter, they wouldn’t let me pass, why? Because I had a miniskirt! Get the tip;)
- Avoid using flip flops on your walks through the cities. Leave them to your trip to the beach 😉
3) How to behave in Italy? How to request information in Italy?
I saw someone write on a blog that Italians are rude, but I don’t agree with that comment. My experience has always been positive and I know so many people, including my clients, who have always told me the same thing: that Italians are super nice and helpful.
Obviously, it may happen that you are treated badly or that an Italian does not answer you well, but this is an exception, it is not absolutely a rule, maybe you asked something wrong or that person is in a problem and in a bad mood, Anyway, it can happen to anyone, anywhere in the world, right?
Important to Remember
Always remember to give a ‘buon giorno’ (good morning) or ‘buona sera’ (good afternoon or good night – you say “buona sêra” – on arrival) when entering the places, and say ‘grazie’ (thank you), which will be answered with a ‘prego’ (you’re welcome). When you need help say ‘Scusi’ (excuse me – you say iscusi), ‘per favore, puoi aiutarmi?’ (Please can you help me?), Non parlo italiano (I don’t speak Italian), and always say it with a smile, that way, I don’t believe the person will be rude to you. Anyway, these are rules that, in general, apply to any country we go to, right?
- When you are introduced to someone or are talking to someone for the first it is better to say buongiorno or buonpommerigio than ciao. Ciao is more used for close friends and colleagues! Read: What are the most used words when traveling in Italy?
4) How to behave in Italy? Is tipping mandatory in Italy?
To tip or not to tip ?? Tips are not mandatory in Italy, but tourist guides, taxi or private transport drivers, waiters, hotel doorkeepers, when they do a great job, when they treat you with courtesy, they always expect a tip. Generally the ideal is to be based on a value of 10% of the total service.
So when you receive special treatment it is always important to tip. It has already happened several times for a driver partner of our blog, after doing a great service for a client of ours, not receiving a tip and feeling bad and devalued, because he thought that the client had not been happy with his work. Do you understand why it is important? It is a way of recognizing and valuing people’s work (obviously when they deserve it) !!
- Try to carry some cash with you at all times as some restaurants, bars and cafes don´t accept cards. Especially if you need to go to the toilet. In Italy, most public toilets are paid and you would need to use your coins to get into them
Watch this video and learn: What is the average cost of a day in Italy?
Subscribe to our channel and receive more videos with information and tips about Italy. Don’t forget to leave that Like;)
How to behave in Italy? Well, its important to know that as long as you are always polite to the people you meet along your trip, I am sure your trip will be great .
And if you feel insecure, have no time, and need help to organize your trip, don’t hesitate to contact me! I will love to help you make your dream trip to Italy come true. And how can I do that? Keep reading this post until the end and you will understand how we make your life and your trip much easier. 🙂
Did my post help you? If so, be sure to post your comment below, but if you still have questions just send me a message I will answer you as soon as possible!