Do I need to validate the train ticket in Italy?
One of the most frequently asked questions among my readers is: Do I need to validate the train ticket in Italy? Ahhh, but it is not just this question that we must raise, because we have other questions, such as: What if I bought the ticket over the internet? What if I got on the train and I forgot to validate it? How much is the fine? There are several questions that here in this post we will answer in the best possible way, in order to help you reader not to have any problem during your trip in Italy. Read our Special Post on How to get around in Italy? Here at Your Travel to Italy with Ana Patriciayou make the trip of your dreams!!! ALSO: see our “Accommodation in Italy – Tips for your holidays!”
1) Do I need to validate the train ticket in Italy? TYPES OF TICKET IN ITALY
First of all: there are different types of train tickets in Italy.
Internet tickets: Intercity trains and high speed trains
- If you bought your ticket online, THERE IS NO NEED TO VALIDATE IT! However, keep it in hand (or in the version sent to the e-mail, with the QR Code saved on your cell phone), as the inspector may ask you to verify it. If he asks, you just have to present the code to him. That is, the ticket to not be validated must have a reservation code as shown in the image below.
- Intercity or High-speed trains, there is no need for validation, as the tickets already come with the date printed on the ticket and with the seat defined (see image below) and have the reservation code.
Tickets from Ticket offices and automatic ticket machines: Regional and Regional High Speed Trains
- For tickets for regional and regional high-speed trains: IT IS NECESSARY TO VALIDATE the ticket if you bought it at automatic ticket machines or at ticket offices;
- It is always necessary to validate tickets that have the phrase DA CONVALIDARE or CONVALIDA (see the image below).
- The validity time for boarding AFTER ticket validation is 4 hours! So if you missed the train, you can get on the next one.
- This rule only applies to trains where you have not chosen a seat, that is, it does not apply to Intercity trains, for example, it is valid only for regional and regional high-speed trains.
2) Do I need to validate the train ticket in Italy? TICKET NOT VALIDATED
I didn’t validate my ticket and the inspector asked to check: What now? And now that you have two options: or write down the time you got on the train when you realize that you have not validated it, you can write it down on the ticket itself, as it will be invalidated and, if the inspector asks to check, he will see that you did not get on the train without validating the ticket ‘on purpose’; or, if the inspector is more ‘hard line’, you will have to pay a very heavy fine: 50 EUROS!
Why do I have to validate the ticket?
Here comes the question: but if I have the ticket in hand, I’m on the train, doesn’t that mean that I paid for the ticket? Why do I have to validate it? No! It does not mean! Hahaha… The ticket can be, for example, stolen and they request validation to avoid tax evasion as well. Some rules on ticket validation have changed precisely for these reasons and, if the rule is valid for Italian citizens, it is valid for you too! ; )
3) Do I need to validate the train ticket in Italy? CHANGE OF PLANS
Another very common situation that happens is: I’m not going to travel on the day on the ticket anymore, am I going to lose that ticket? Maybe not! If you go to the ticket office and ask for a date change, you may only pay the difference. It is not a rule and the operator IS NOT OBLIGATED TO MAKE THE EXCHANGE, so stay tuned with the dates and times, OK ?! You may need to purchase a new ticket. AND DON’T FORGET TO VALIDATE IT, huh ?! (lol)
4) Do I need to validate the train ticket in Italy? TICKET VALIDATION MACHINES
Where do I find ticket validation machines? On the platforms themselves, next to boarding. The validation consists of bringing the ticket closer to the machine and waiting a few moments. Ready! Work done! 🙂 That is: there is no excuse, right ?!
5) Do I need to validate the train ticket in Italy? TRAIN STOPS
Also pay attention to destination cities and their STOPS! The city that appears on the train is not always the stop of YOUR FINAL DESTINATION, but just check the train number and get on board. This is because some trips are NOT DIRECT, make stops in other cities before reaching the final destination, and the name of the city is only changed after having already passed through others.
6) Do I need to validate the train ticket in Italy? TIME CHANGE
It is also possible to validate the ticket for another time if you are unable to arrive at the time stated on the ticket, but only on regional and regional high-speed trains. If you would board at 3 p.m, but you won’t be arriving in time, you can use the same ticket until 11:59 p.m that same day, OK ?!
It is important to know the following: normally, for Intercity trains tickets, there is neither refund nor the possibility of changing the ticket, even if you pay the difference, so AVOID MISSING THE TRAINS WITH THESE TICKETS! If you don’t know if you will be able to arrive on time, or if you don’t want to be ‘stuck’ at predetermined times, buy the ticket on site, not over the internet.
- Refund is not always possible, especially for trains with promotional fares that are not regional and regional high-speed.
Important to Know
- If you have read other posts from our blog related to trains, I always say: arrive at the station in advance! At least half an hour. Observe the information on the panels, check the binaries – platforms – where you should board, destination, schedule, train number and review everything. If you are not used to take trains in Italy, be sure to not wait until 10 minutes before boarding to familiarize yourself.
- If possible, visit the train station where you will be leaving the day before your trip to familiarize yourself with the platforms. Or get there early and take a walk around the station.
- If you are ‘lost’, ask the station staff for help, don’t worry or be afraid, some of them speak other languages and, even if they don’t speak, they will do their best to help you.
Watch this video and learn: What are the most used words – how to greet?
Subscribe to our channel and receive more videos with information and tips about Italy. Don’t forget to leave that Like;)
Do I need to validate the train ticket in Italy? Although many panic when it comes to validating train tickets, as we have seen it is not at all difficult to do and does not require practice or skill; pay attention when it is necessary to check the ticket, go to the machine and validate it; after that: good trip! Just have fun and bring with you, back in your luggage, beautiful memories of your incredible trip through Italy … By train, of course!:)
If you feel insecure or have no time, and need help to organize your trip, do not hesitate to look for me! I will love to help you make your dream trip to Italy. And how can I do that? Continue reading this post until the end and you will understand how can we make your life and journey easier
Did my post help you? If yes, make sure to leave your comment below, but if you still have questions, just leave them as a comment below and I will reply, O.K.?