Let’s visit the Terme di Saturnia in Tuscany
The thermal water is very powerful! In addition to serving as a therapeutic treatment for various health problems, it relaxes and renews. One of the most beautiful termal baths in all of Italy! Let’s go to our Post of the day: Discover hte Saturnia Thermal Spa in Tuscany? Here at Your Travel to Italy with Ana Patriciayou make the trip of your dreams!!! ALSO: see our “Accommodation in Italy – Tips for your holidays!”
1) Let’s visit the Terme di Saturnia in Tuscany? ITS WATERS
The waters of the Terme di Saturnia’s spring take a journey through the depths of the land of Mount Amiata. The thermal water is mineral because, during the underground path, it is mineralized and absorbs carbon dioxide, discharging it over ‘buried’ marbles, 200 meters deep; there is dissolution of CO2, which releases sulfur, calcium, sulfates and magnesium into the water. In addition, the water now contains vitamins, gases and its temperature is always constant: 37.5 ° C. The flow of water reaches 800 liters per second, which allows the natural pool to be always clean, since the water is completely replaced, naturally, every 4 hours, several times a day. Read also What are the 5 unmissable castles to sleep in Tuscany?
2) Let’s visit the Terme di Saturniain Tuscany? ITS THERAPEUTIC PROPERTIES
Spring water has specific therapeutic properties and is great, as it promotes skin vasodilation, helps in lowering blood pressure, and it acts as a muscle relaxant and anti-inflammatory. It dilates the bronchi and facilitates breathing by increasing lung ventilation and fluidizing secretions; it has antioxidant effects, exfoliates the skin in a delicate and efficient way, has antiseptic action and reduces several pains. Discover also the most beautiful thermal baths in Italy!
3) Let’s visit the Terme di Saturnia in Tuscany? THE RULES
There is also a guide to some rules to follow to enjoy the natural pools, among the most important:
- Do not enter the pool immediately after eating;
- Do not stay in the water for more than 20 minutes;
- Do not stay under the waterfall for more than five minutes, as the concentration of some mineral components here is maximum!
- Wait between 30 and 45 minutes between baths;
- For children, use only the pool intended for them;
- People with heart problems, high blood pressure, people with asthma, people with epilepsy problems, pregnant women or people allergic to minerals should avoid bathing.
To spend the day there, the ticket costs 31 euros, but there are several options of values and access. For more information and ticket purchase, click here! The place is VERY well structured: it has a restaurant, showers and even a hotel. It also has a charming little shop where you can find various cosmetic products produced with the thermal water of the place.
- The place is open the whole year, but, of course, it is crowded, especially in the summer, as it has a huge movement, even at night. An excellent time to visit the the Terme di Saturnia is fall, as the great flow of tourists has passed.
- Ah, do not wear jewelry; mineralized water can ruin some pieces.
- Be sure to take a tour of the city. It is lovely!
Address and Hours
- Where is it: Terme di Saturnia SPA & Golf Resort, 58014 – Saturnia (GR) – Tuscany.
- Access to the site is by car, to get there take the road that goes to Siena and go to Grosseto – Scansano – Montemerano – Saturnia. The road is well signposted and it is not difficult to find your destination.
- Hours: in winter, from 9:30 am to 5:00 pm; in summer, from 9:00 am to 7:00 pm.
Shall we learn more about The Terme?
The Terme di Saturnia is located in Tuscany, in an old place that has served as a spa since Etruscan-Roman times. It is a place immersed in nature and little known by tourists. The name Saturnia is given by the ancient legend that involves the god Saturn. They say that in a gesture of fury because of the wars among humans, Saturn threw a lightning bolt with all his strength, which caused the opening of a huge crater. See also The ten unmissable agritourisms in Tuscany!
A hot, sulphurous water source with therapeutic properties emerged from the crater. Legend has it that the water calmed the warriors and led them to live with a period of peace, tranquility and relaxation; it was when abundance returned to men: wealth, gold and abundance became part of everyone’s routine, and its sovereign was Saturn. All the travelers who passed by, via Clodia, fell in love with the place and chose it to spend their holidays. In remote times, Roman baths, as well as spas, were considered social centers; it was in these places that political meetings and parties took place.
The Terme di Saturnia have always had enormous strategic importance; proof of this are the disputes, in the Middle Ages, between Aldobrandeschi de Santa Fiora and the religious of Sovana. In 1188 Pope Clement III, of the Canons of Sovana, decided that the baths of Saturnia would be the heritage of the Diocese of Sovano. In 1216 the property was transferred to the Aldobrandeschi fiefdom. During the first 14th century, Siena and Orvieto on the one hand and Aldobrandeschi, Pannocchieschi with Orsini, on the other, counted Saturnia as part of their territories.
The Recovery Project
After a period of neglect and deterioration due to continuous territorial devastation and the lack of regulation, in 1572 the Baths (thermal baths) were restored as part of a major recovery project and ‘reborn’ in a splendid and modern way. Between the end of the 1700s and the beginning of the 1800s, the wholesomeness of the waters of Saturnia became part of the Repetti, which in the ‘Dictionary of Tuscany’ is a thermal building ‘which rises at the foot of the hill and forms a large natural pool ‘. The fountain, now called the ‘fountain pool’, within the resort area, received investment from the Ciacci Family and, subsequently, the property was taken over by the Panciatichi Family.
In 1919, the Ciacci family built the first hotel in the area, which still defines the tourism role of the Spa today. The focus was, and is, hospitality, good services, excellence and a great structure. In 1920, the University of Pisa carried out the first modern chemical analysis of the region’s waters; a new analysis was made in 1947 by the Institute of Chemistry at the University of Rome and one of the key passages in the region is the one in which the Ciacci ceded their baths to the Passalacqua in 1946.
Let’s visit the Terme di Saturnia. The right destination for nature lovers, the Terme di Saturnia will make you fall in love! And If you feel insecure or have no time, and need help to organize your trip, do not hesitate to look for me! I will love to help you make your dream trip to Italy. And how can I do that? Continue reading this post until the end and you will understand how can we make your life and journey easier
Did my post help you? If yes, make sure to leave your comment below, but if you still have questions, just leave them as a comment below and I will reply, O.K.?